LMS around the Peak District.

Recommendations of all those increasingly rare LMS's in a town near you, so the rest of us can find them and marvel! Also, the places near you where blokes approach you, furtively clutching the latest SAMI and smelling of resin.
wokka
Modelling Gent and Scholar

LMS around the Peak District.

Post by wokka »

We'll be coming back to the UK at the end of August for a couple of weeks and staying half way between Buxton and Bakewell. As I've not lived there for a few years I don't know where things are so can anyone advise on modelling shops in B'ham, Sheffield or Derby. If there's anything in Chesterfield or Stoke even better. Cheers
It's only pain, work through it.
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Re: LMS around the Peak District.

Post by mattbacon »

There's WD Models in Chesterfield (more railway-oriented), Marcway Models in Sheffield and PM Models, in Bentley near Doncaster. You'd also be welcome to pop over to my place between Sheffield and Rotherham for a cup of tea, modelling chat, and a browse of the stash clearance shelves! (that goes for any nearby UAMFers as well....) ;-P
best,
M.
iggie

Post by iggie »

There used to be a huge store called Rails in Sheffield, who also used to stock some kits but that was a few years back so not sure if they are still there...
Beany is your man for Derby and surrounding area
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I'm from Bakewell, but haven't lived there for 40 years, so I'm afraid my local knowledge is a bit out of date.🤣
Up in the Great White North
Davem
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Davem »

Parabellum in the jewellery quarter in Birmingham but limited opening hours Friday & Saturday only.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Hi Richard. If you get near the Doncaster area the South Yorkshire aircraft museum has a fairly well stocked shop.

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
wokka

Post by wokka »

Thanks for the replies, I believe my daughter wants to stop in Chesterfield on the way up so that's the initial port of call. Thanks for the heads up Greg on S.Yorks museum but my stepson and his wife had their first baby 4 weeks ago hence the travelling to the UK and I suspect my wife will take a dim view if I swanned off to museums to admire beautifull aeroplanes rather than admiring a baby.

Just had a thought, as there seems to be a good selection of model shops still going than potentially I could get a good selection of models. I wonder if I can get away with hiring a van for our trip? It's needed to carry all the baby presents to the UK - honest. No, not to load up with kits for the way back . definitely not - no. :lol:
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Well. There is always the shopping centre a short (ish) walk away where baby things could be found. Call there first and "oh look dearest, there's an aircraft museum" 😁 would be silly not to whilst we are near by.
And it is home to the Yorkshire Helicopter preservation group.
Yep, I am bad tempting you. 😂

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
Albert Einstein
wokka

Post by wokka »

I'm not listening, no no no noooooo!
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Poyntons is a newsagent and model shop inside the main shopping centre in Derby (Derbion). They have a large selection of Airfix, Revell, Italeri and Tamiya and many other brands as well. Also a good selection of paints and tools. I consider it my LMS and would recommend it. Also a very large range of Hornby model railways and Corgi Die-casts. They even had one of those £700 Pocher JPS Lotus cars a while back.
I can mark it on a map of the mall for you and post a screen grab here if you'd like.
Edit: their facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/JHPOYNTONANDSONS
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

wokka wrote: July 30th, 2023, 12:50 pm I'm not listening, no no no noooooo!
:lol:
Albert Einstein

Return to “Are You Local? Model Shops and Clubs”