Tamiya 1:35 T-72 M1

Millitary miscellany; Tanks, AFV, Trucks and other Soft-Skin vehicles etc.
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Tamiya 1:35 T-72 M1

Post by Canuck2016 »

Good day all!

This is Tamiya’s 1:35 T-72 M1. This kit dates back to 1992, and has a few shortcomings which I don’t think you’d see in their newer kits, specifically some vague fit between the upper and lower hull halves, and where the skirts attach to the hull. As well, the sponsons are left open, although this isn’t an issue if you use the skirts. In general it all went together pretty well.

Tamiya gives you a commander figure made to stand in his open hatch, but no interior detail at all. You get string for the tow cable, photo-etch and plastic screen for the engine deck, and some very fine rubber tubing, coiled wire, and copper wire for the external fuel plumbing. I think these look quite nice once assembled, and add a nice busy-ness to the completed model. Tracks are one-piece vinyl. No clear parts are included.

The decal sheet includes markings for a Russian, Czech, or East German vehicle, as well as one just labelled “desert” (Syrian maybe?) which is what I attempted here. I tried to do a faded desert yellow look with green showing through in patches, with mixed success. In a bid to liven up the mostly monochrome look, I added the white stripe, red fuel fittings, blue patch on the storage bin, and green external fuel tank, but these are probably not accurate.

This was built OOB except for some coloured mylar for the optics, an applewood stick for the unditching beam, and a tarp made from a paper napkin (seen on the stowage bin on the right side of the turret). Overall, it was an enjoyable build, though not up to Tamiya’s current standard in my opinion.

Have a great day!

Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Tamiya 1:35 T-72 M1

Post by Clashcityrocker »

A real beauty Canuck. I like the green fuel tank.

Nigel
Bissyboat

Post by Bissyboat »

Very nice rendition of the T72. It´s a beautiful piece of work.
"We're going to need a bigger boat"
iggie

Post by iggie »

Marvellous!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

That looks fantastic
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0

Return to “Tanks, AFV and other Military Models”