Birdwatchers, Birders, Twitchers or Ornithologists?

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Birdwatchers, Birders, Twitchers or Ornithologists?

Post by Stuart »

I was just wondering if anyone else on the boards spent anytime admiring our fine feathered avian friends (or other animals), alongside getting their daily fix of this delightful plastic habit.

If so seen anything interesting lately?
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Birdwatchers, Birders, Twitchers or Ornithologists?

Post by iggie »

I don't think this is a bird really, but...
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Crashpilot
...happily fooling around with styrene

Post by Crashpilot »

I do occasionally birdwatch. Just this summer, I was watching bee-eaters, a bird that profits from the climate change. It used to be found only in the warmest areas of Germany, but they´re wandering more and more to the north of Germany, and now they even started breeding just a couple of miles from where I live. They are colourful birds, very unusual for birds you else find in middle/ northern Europe.
Next year, I want to go watch some great bustards, they´re about the rarest bird of Germany (I read that they got extinct in the UK, but they started a
reintroduction project recently).
Waiting for the day, when wars for territory will be something to be read about in history books only.

Playing Tetris taught me: If I clean up too much, my kits disappear.....8-(

Markus, alias Crashpilot, or Crash, or CP, as you wish
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by DavidWomby »

Leaving a tree in our backyard in Nova Scotia. We see these and ospreys every day there.

David
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

iggie wrote: September 21st, 2023, 3:06 pm I don't think this is a bird really, but...
Grey Squirrel?

That's cool - I saw 5 Red ones yesterday, doing pretty much the same thing.
Crashpilot wrote: September 21st, 2023, 3:24 pm I do occasionally birdwatch. Just this summer, I was watching bee-eaters, a bird that profits from the climate change. It used to be found only in the warmest areas of Germany, but they´re wandering more and more to the north of Germany, and now they even started breeding just a couple of miles from where I live. They are colourful birds, very unusual for birds you else find in middle/ northern Europe.
Next year, I want to go watch some great bustards, they´re about the rarest bird of Germany (I read that they got extinct in the UK, but they started a
reintroduction project recently).

That's cool Markus. I'd absolutely love to see a Bee-eater, but they're seriously rare here in the UK. WE do indeed have some great Bustards, although like you said, extremely rare - they've actually re-introduced them around Salisbury plain, owned by the MOD, where the army does a lot of it's training.

Being on the coast we get some quite rare birds around here, like Choughs, which we saw about 30 of last week, all in a flock.

Bee-Eaters would be nice though...

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

DavidWomby wrote: September 21st, 2023, 4:02 pm Leaving a tree in our backyard in Nova Scotia. We see these and ospreys every day there.

David
Now that's an awesome sight David!

We do get Ospreys around here, although they're pretty rare. There's a reservoir near me with a pair on that raised a couple of chicks. We've been watching them off and on over the Summer, but they've bogged off south now.

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Not a bird watcher per se, but I do keep an eye open for them. We get a nice variety in the backyard. The hummingbirds will soon be leaving us southwards for the winter.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
fireblade
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by fireblade »

We took up birding after the kids had fled our own nest, although I started to get interested some years prior when on holiday in Bideford. We had an apartment by the riverside and I was fascinated by a curlew that appeared every low tide and spent its time going back and forth, probing for a meal. Now I find that bliss is sitting in a bird hide overlooking a stretch of water or heathland, a perfect way to destress.

Paul Brown
Bring me my chariot of fire
Locate and Cement
RevellAtions
You can't turn back the clock,
You can't turn back the tide,
Ain't that a shame
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

PaulBradley wrote: September 21st, 2023, 5:43 pm Not a bird watcher per se, but I do keep an eye open for them. We get a nice variety in the backyard. The hummingbirds will soon be leaving us southwards for the winter.
That's good Paul, you're a lucky man getting Hummingbirds in your garden - I'd love to see some of those!
fireblade wrote: September 21st, 2023, 10:07 pm We took up birding after the kids had fled our own nest, although I started to get interested some years prior when on holiday in Bideford. We had an apartment by the riverside and I was fascinated by a curlew that appeared every low tide and spent its time going back and forth, probing for a meal. Now I find that bliss is sitting in a bird hide overlooking a stretch of water or heathland, a perfect way to destress.

A man after my own heart!

I love Curlews (and that's a nice photo), we saw quite a few of them at RSPB Conwy today, along some Oystercatchers and a big stack of Red Shanks that have only just turned up. We get a nice lot of Waders around here, as they quite like the mud around the mouth of the River Conwy, it's really nice seeing them come back for the winter.

I do like wandering around with my Bins - Bliss indeed :-D

Return to “General Chat”