1/350 Hobbyboss USS Greeneville SSN 772

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
Britwit
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

1/350 Hobbyboss USS Greeneville SSN 772

Post by Britwit »

I purchased this and it is in the post. I am going to do it as it's sister ship USS San Juan SSN 751, I did one like this by HobbyBoss a few years ago and liked the way it came out. I have a nephew who served on the San Juan back around 2007-2008 time frame, the one I did last was the Miami. I would like to find the correct colors as I don't think today's subs are black uppers with red lowers, got a funny feeling they are mostly black.

1964-2024- too many years, too many glue fumes!
AlanW
Series 3 and Beyond

Re: 1/350 Hobbyboss USS Greeneville SSN 772

Post by AlanW »

I’ve had a good hunt round the internet to see what I could find. There are several photographs of the Greeneville in dry dock and she clearly has a red lower, aft of the nose section.

Could I find a similar photograph of the San Juan. No, of course not. Just your standard views of her entering or leaving harbour.

There are several photographs of models of the San Juan but are fairly evenly divided between red/black and black only.

No help, I know, but theoretically they are both corrrect but only for half the time….
Britwit

Post by Britwit »

Thanks, I have had the same luck finding zilch, nada, zip for color information. I am just painting it black and no one can prove me wrong! Or right!
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

When launched the San Juan was painted with the hull red very high up, above the diving planes and outer torpedo doors, not sure if it continued onto the nose sonar dome, but most likely. Later it is likely the hull red only extended up to just above the torpedo tube doors, with the rest of the hull being black.

https://www.reddit.com/r/submarines/com ... _improved/
Britwit

Post by Britwit »

I have a start on the kit. The hull halves are glued together sandwiching the dive plane. The hull seam may need a touch of putty. I am using this scheme.

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”