Alecras' Workbench

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Re: Alecras' Workbench

Post by Softscience »

Why not continue the WW I project you have on the go at the moment? It seems to be turning out nice. You can dab down the decals GENTLY with an earbud or kitchen roll.

I get the impression you abandon projects at the merest of setbacks. The only way you'll get better is by powering through the tough spots and learning from your mistakes by fixing them. You've done a pretty good job on some of your tanks in the past. You can do this!
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

Hi guys I'm worried about my modelling as I keep jetting the instructions wrong. My friend told me to build tamiya kits as the instructions are easy to understand but they scare me because I want to understand what the in wre telling me. When I was 5 years old I suffered head injuries and became disabled. Having head injuries makes understanding things difficult. Can you suggest a way to make reading instructions easier or something please?
Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Ratch »

Study the instructions.
Work out in your head what order to do things.
Test fit before adding glue.
Take your time, don't rush.
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Ash,

I wish I knew a sure way to make this easier for you. Maybe trying a few simpler kits with less parts and pictorial instructions would be less confusing. For example, these are the instructions for a Frog Vampire that I am currently building.

David
iggie

Post by iggie »

Hobbyboss do a range of Easy Assembly kits in 1/72, whose instructions are very straightforward and easy to follow 👍
I find that Tamiya instructions vary hugely in their ease of use, from very easy to downright indecipherable...
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

This is what my friend says, can you explain it to me please?
Hi guys I'm worried about my modelling as I keep getting the instructions wrong. My friend told me to build tamiya kits as the instructions are easy to understand but they scare me because I want to understand what they're telling me but I keep getting the instructions wrong. When I was 6 years old I suffered head injuries and became disabled. Having head injuries makes understanding things difficult. Can you suggest a way to make reading instructions easier or something please?
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

If there is a specific step in an instruction manual that is giving you trouble, you can always post a picture of it here, and ask for assistance.

I'm not sure exactly what is giving you trouble - but looking at your previous builds, it did not appear that getting things assembled was ever an issue for you.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Ash, you are right - the instructions aren't always readable and they are getting worse. I'm 78 yo and having more trouble with the newer kits that have adopted a style I just cannot get used to. So I pick up a #2 pencil with a good soft eraser, a pad of small stickies, small pad of paper to make bigger notes on (depends on size of model), and a yellow highlighter (used judiciously) and start at the front of the instructions, page by page. Your goal is to read each page and understand it. If you understand something, make a check mark with your pencil, if you do not then make a note on a stickie and move on. Sometimes the question you wrote on the stickie will be answered later.

The first few pages are usually easy, all canned fluff, then you get into the instruction steps. Here you are doing the same thing, but in more detail. Go thru each step, part by part, so you are assured you understand it -- know where each part came from (sprue or previous step) and where it is going. Light check with the pencil if you do, note on a stickie if you do not. It's also OK to make notes on the instruction with the pencil - you can always go back and erase a note - that's why you use a #2 pencil and a decent eraser. You don't want to ruin the instruction sheet.

Look carefully at options - manufacturers have made a mess of this, all differently. What do you want to build, in what configuration, paint scheme, and markings - start making notes on your pad of paper and little checkmarks and notes as you find all the pieces and parts and decision points (steps you have to be alert for).

When you have done this, then look to see if you have un-answered stickies, question marks, etc - and go back to the beginning and start all over, with the goal to answer all those questions. And again, and again - until all your questions are answered and all decision points are addressed.

Note I haven't mentioned knives, glue, etc - you can have them after you are happy with the instructions and what you need to do to meet the goals that you have on the pad of paper.

Look, I've been doing this a while, and rely on my notes to remind me what I am doing. No knives, no glue, no paint until I've been through the instructions, made my notes, answered my questions, etc - then I have a Build Plan. Which is also good if I get distracted by a bright shiny bauble (new kit) because I can always go back to my build plan for the previous one and pick up from there. I have some stuff that I wish I'd done this for decades ago :)

Take care.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

JohnRatzenberger wrote: September 27th, 2023, 5:33 pm ...
That's all very good advice John, we should probably all do that to an extent.

I try to do that a lot with colour call outs etc., writing the conversions to brands I have on the instructions.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Stuart wrote: September 27th, 2023, 5:46 pm I try to do that a lot with colour call outs etc., writing the conversions to brands I have on the instructions.
And that's very good advice also.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Excellent advice from John, and I agree especially with regard to the bit about build options; understanding how the manufacturer has decided to indicate alternative parts/configurations etc. can be an absolute nightmare!

As Softscience says, if you cannot answer a particular question yourself following John's suggestions, take a photo and ask on here; someone will have built it before, or will have it in their stash and can look for you 8-)
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

Hi where can I get another gun for a tamiya mk4 ww1 tank in 1 35? I tried fitting the part that fits on the end of the gun barrel but I cemented it the wrong end, so I cut it off using knife and cemented back on but I don't like it.

Return to “Workbench Window”