Airfix 1/48 Bristol Blenheim Mk.I

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Airfix 1/48 Bristol Blenheim Mk.I

Post by beany »

After the horror show that was my build of the 1/72 Airfix Blenheim for the recent group build you'd think I'd be put off for life but I was interested in the Airfix 'spend over £30.00 and get a free 1/48 Tiger Moth' offer and saw the 1/48 Blenheim has a desert camo scheme so I went for it.
I have to say the build has been a delight so far. I have been watching a lot of YouTube builds and most of the 'professionals' seem to build first and paint later which is the opposite of what I normally do, but their builds are always far superior to mine so I will adopt that method and see how I go.

Here are some of the fiddlier build ups and whilst not easy, they really go together nicely. I still managed to install the tanks in the undercarriage assemblies upside down but manage to cut them out clearly and invert them without too much bother. I'm now at the stage of breaking out the airbrush and seeing if this assembly method is going to work!

Cheers,
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
wokka
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Airfix 1/48 Bristol Blenheim Mk.I

Post by wokka »

Interesting concept, building sub assemblies first then paint so I'll be watching to see how you get on.
It's only pain, work through it.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Given the tight tolerances with modern Airfix, it's not a bad idea. It would make the detail painting a bit more fiddly, but when the majority of the parts are Interior Green or Aluminium, it makes sense. I'm interested to see how it all works out.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

PaulBradley wrote: December 8th, 2023, 4:36 pm Given the tight tolerances with modern Airfix, it's not a bad idea.
That was also very much in my mind Paul, especially as I have fallen foul of it by painting parts first in the past.
PaulBradley wrote: December 8th, 2023, 4:36 pm It would make the detail painting a bit more fiddly, but when the majority of the parts are Interior Green or Aluminium, it makes sense.
I did my 1/72 Blenheim wheels up so didn't note the interior colour for the wheel wells and was thus surprised to see the call out is for Aluminium rather than Interior Green in this kit - (I don't know why but I am much happier spraying Aluminium rather than I.G.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1

Return to “Aviation Modelling”