The Gordon Bennett Air Race 1911 Part 4: Wright R Baby

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Lone Modeller
Modelling Gent and Scholar

The Gordon Bennett Air Race 1911 Part 4: Wright R Baby

Post by Lone Modeller »

Evening All,

The Wright Type R was also known as the “Roadster” and the “Baby Wright”. Two aeroplanes were built, one for the English flier Alex Olgivy. He flew it in the Gordon Bennett air race at Belmont Park New York in October 1910, where he managed to achieve 3rd place with an average speed of 55mph (88kph).

The second machine was taken to the race by the Wright Fliers (the Wright exhibition team), powered by a V8 engine: it was called the “Baby Grand”. It had a second pair of wheels attached to the front of the skids. This machine was smaller than Olgivy’s and consequently both faster but less stable. Orville Wright managed to achieve 70mph, (130kph), on 25th October and it was in line to win the race.

However on 29th October Walter Brookins was flying the machine when it suffered engine failure and crashed, causing much damage to the machine and keeping it out of the competition. Later the machine was rebuilt with longer span wings and Brookins flew it for exhibitions.

A. Ogilvy had his machined shipped to England where he flew it frequently at Camber Sands in South Kent. In 1911 he took it to the Short Brothers factory at Eastchurch where they fitted an NEC 50 hp 4 cylinder two stroke engine: many variations of radiator arrangements were also made. Ogilvy also invented the first practical airspeed indicator which he seems to have tested on this machine and used in the Gordon Bennett air race of 1st July 1911 which was held at Eastchurch on the Isle of Sheppy, Kent. It can be seen in contemporary photographs mounted on the interplane struts next to the pilot’s seat.

In the race Ogilvy knew that he could not win, but he participated nonetheless: he had to stop for 30 minutes during the race to refuel, thus increasing his time and reducing his average speed of 51mph (82kph). Ogilvy’s lack of success with his biplane in the competition against the smaller and faster monoplanes confirmed that the future of high speed flight would be with the latter.

Later, when I have finished it, I will put up a post a small diorama showing the 6 models of the aircraft which took part in the 1911 Gordon Bennett race.

Thanks for looking.
DavidWomby

Re: The Gordon Bennett Air Race 1911 Part 4: Wright R Baby

Post by DavidWomby »

Lovely work and a fascinating history.

David
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

About a cute as a vintage aeroplane can get
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Not much ground clearance with those propellers :shock:

Nigel
B4en

Post by B4en »

Grand work LM! Looks great, if totally unsafe... 8-)
Where do you find plans for scratching up these early aircraft?
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

B4en wrote: December 8th, 2023, 6:39 am Where do you find plans for scratching up these early aircraft?
In the case of this aircraft and the Bleriot XXIII I had to make up the plans myself from plans of similar aircraft, published dimensions (which in the case of the Bleriot's were wrong!) and photographs. With the Wright Baby Grand there is a model which has been built which was helpful:
https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-o ... 9590208000

With other types I search on the net - usually something turns up unless they were prototypes when finding drawings can be more difficult.
B4en

Post by B4en »

Thanks LM. You'd think there would be a few books available with plan drawings etc. but I guess that would be too easy.
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

As always, LM, my cap is doffed to you for scratch building a pioneer type such as this. Superb work and interesting history as well.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Aviation Modelling”