1/144 Space Shuttle

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

1/144 Space Shuttle

Post by Stuart »

Has anyone built either the Revell or Airfix 1/144 Space Shuttles?

If so, any thoughts on the kits and which one might the best to go for? (I hear both have their issues). I've started playing about with an old stalled Saturn V build and I'm thinking of adding a Shuttle to the collection.

Cheers!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: 1/144 Space Shuttle

Post by iggie »

I have the Revell shuttle and booster set, but have not yet built it. What I do have that will make a difference apparently, is a set of decals for the heat shield tiling on the lower fuselage... they used to be hard to find but I've no idea what availability is like now
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Various outfits have issued tile decals for the Shuttle. I used the (now out of production) set from Cutting Edge -

The kit is Minicraft, which is probably the least accurate of the 1/144 Shuttles.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Having built both I honestly don't have a preference. Both are fairly painless builds. As for accuracy, as you say, both have issues, though minor
And I his reminds me to get on with the two I have in build,
Revell Shuttle and SCA.
Airfix full stack Shuttle.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Thanks for the info Gents - if there's not that much in it I might go for the Revell kit, at least it has new decals.

Eric - that Minicraft kit/build looks great! Is that a 1/72 Saturn V at the back?

Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

No, the Saturn V is the 1/144 Airfix kit (the improved 2009 release). Just shows how big the Saturn V was.

With the Revell kit you get a launchpad/crawler - which is pretty inaccurate. The Orbiter and other bits are fine.

The Minicraft orbiter has too pinched a nose and the External Tank lacks the prominent corrugations that can be seen about two thirds up the tank. I had to fabricate these using plasticard strips.

The key for me in getting a Shuttle Stack (Orbiter, Tank and Solid Rocket Boosters) to look good is to get the colours on the tank right (unless you are painting the tank white (as flown on STS-1 and 2). I rarely see tanks painted in a way that look very like what the tanks REALLY looked like. They were actually various shades pf brown, orange and even pinkish - which was all down to how long they had been in storage, how much they had been exposed to sunlight etc. The foam material sprayed on the outside changed colour over time and as a result no two tanks ever looked the same.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Gregers wrote: December 18th, 2023, 6:30 pm Revell Shuttle and SCA.
I bought one of those when they were being "cleared" by Modelzone years ago. It languished in the stash for months then when I came to build it found the 747 in particular was horribly warped and twisted such that it was very hard to rectify. The shuttle was OK but I was surprised at how basic it was and the fit was very poor - a filler queen for sure.
I hope if you get a Revell one Stuart that you fare better!
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

beany wrote: December 19th, 2023, 4:36 pm
Gregers wrote: December 18th, 2023, 6:30 pm Revell Shuttle and SCA.
I bought one of those when they were being "cleared" by Modelzone years ago. It languished in the stash for months then when I came to build it found the 747 in particular was horribly warped and twisted such that it was very hard to rectify. The shuttle was OK but I was surprised at how basic it was and the fit was very poor - a filler queen for sure.
I hope if you get a Revell one Stuart that you fare better!
That's a shame Al, I had my eye on one of those too!

I guess it's a pretty old kit now, hence it's basic nature maybe, but I'm stocking up on filler!
Eric Mc wrote: December 19th, 2023, 2:44 pm No, the Saturn V is the 1/144 Airfix kit (the improved 2009 release). Just shows how big the Saturn V was.

With the Revell kit you get a launchpad/crawler - which is pretty inaccurate. The Orbiter and other bits are fine.

The Minicraft orbiter has too pinched a nose and the External Tank lacks the prominent corrugations that can be seen about two thirds up the tank. I had to fabricate these using plasticard strips.

The key for me in getting a Shuttle Stack (Orbiter, Tank and Solid Rocket Boosters) to look good is to get the colours on the tank right (unless you are painting the tank white (as flown on STS-1 and 2). I rarely see tanks painted in a way that look very like what the tanks REALLY looked like. They were actually various shades pf brown, orange and even pinkish - which was all down to how long they had been in storage, how much they had been exposed to sunlight etc. The foam material sprayed on the outside changed colour over time and as a result no two tanks ever looked the same.
Thanks for the tips Eric, I'll keep that all in mind.

Okay, so I have to ask, what's the rocket between the Saturn V and the Shuttle, is that the Gemini program one? I really did think that Saturn was 1/72 - it's blooming massive!

Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

I have a 1/72 Saturn V by Dragon. It will be aut 5 1/2 ft tall when built. I also have a 1/72 Shuttle. That will be pretty big too.

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein

Return to “Small Talk”