TeeELL’s paltry productions of 2023

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
TeeELL
Modelling Gent and Scholar

TeeELL’s paltry productions of 2023

Post by TeeELL »

The year started with a fight! The Aeroclub Gloster Grebe had been wrestling with me, but was finally beaten into submission. A fair few 3D printed parts, an after-market engine and ‘home-brew’ transfers. Finished as part of my ‘Aircraft of 29(F) Sqn’ theme.

Next on the bench was the Airfix T-34 as part of the Feb Blitzbau. My dissatisfaction with the rubber-band tracks led me to create 3D printed replacements plus a barrel and the auxiliary fuel tanks. The model was finished as a Cuban T-34 used during the ‘Bay of Pigs’ attempted invasion.

The PR7 build never reached completion and so the next build was the DHC Beaver. Once again, the model was built as a Cuban aircraft from the era of the revolution so the aircraft was operated by FAEC before capture. Home-brew transfers.

I have been wanting to build a ‘turret’ Hawker Demon for some time and 3D printing allowed me to create, finally, the turret and operating mechanism; this was added to a modified AMG Demon and joined my 29(F) Sqn collection.

Something light-hearted hit the workbench a ‘cartoon’ Lancaster. I decided to finish it as ‘ADMIRAL PRUNE II’ the second of Guy Gibsons aircraft whilst he was OC 106 Sqn at RAF Metheringham. The transfers for the aircraft nose art and specific serial and ID markings were home-brew.

Throughout the period I have been mucking about with 3D design and part of it included improvements for the Airfix Scammell. So my next build involved creating a sample of the kit/printed parts

Image[/url

Continuing with the Scammell theme, I received the files enabling me to print a Scammell TRMU-20 tractor and TRCU-20 trailer (the Airfix kit represents a TRMU/TRCU-30). I then assembled the resin kit but without painting it.

[url=https://postimages.org/]Image

Time for a change once more. There is only one photo I have found of a Hurricane in 29(F) Sqn markings - the aircraft was damaged on landing and ended up in an aircraft repair facility, where the photo was taken. My model was built for the Hurricane GB and used the Alley Cat ‘tin wing’ conversion set.

An IS2 hit the work bench, representing yet another Soviet tank type delivered to Cuba and which participated in the ‘Bay of Pigs’ attempted invasion.

Some more Scammell work was undertaken involving a second TRMU/TRCU-20, but this time painted for my collection.

I then built another ‘Airfix’ enhanced TRMU-30 and coupled it to an early style 3D printed TRCU-30. This build replaced my original build of ‘MOLLY’.

I have been searching for the conversion parts to create an early Trojan from the Heller kit. I finally sourced some and was able to create an ‘A’ model using the conversion and some 3D printed parts. Another aircraft of the Cuban Air Force, it wears the very unusual ‘initial markings’ of the rebel Air Force (FAC).

And now that unholy disaster - the Airfix Blenheim GB. I started my build a little behind others and was able to learn from their experiences (not that it helped over much!). I did need a Blenheim to add to the 29(F) Sqn collection (I actually need 3 in total! - how depressing). This is my attempt at a pre-war Mk1F:

With Telford looming on the horizon I wanted to finish my Hucks’ Starter, which has been on the go for some considerable time! The final components were put together and, although I’ve yet to find suitable crew figures, the model went to Telford.

Finally, as the GBL for the ‘Swinging 60’s’ GB, I build a pair of MiG-23 models.
The first MiG-23 received by Cuba was the ‘BN model (similar in looks to the MiG-27).

Following on, the Cuban received a couple of different variants of the ‘fighter’ MiG-23 MFs and the lighter, superior ML. I used parts to modify the KP MF to an ML as the appearance is different.

I admit this last pair were completed in the first couple of days of January, but only due to my domestic circumstances - I hope you will allow me this ‘flex’.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: TeeELL’s paltry productions of 2023

Post by ShaunW »

That's one more than I managed to get finished, Tony and it looks excellent, interwar RAF biplanes do make for attractive subjects.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

ShaunW wrote: January 4th, 2024, 6:50 pm That's one more than I managed to get finished, Tony and it looks excellent, interwar RAF biplanes do make for attractive subjects.
You must have caught my post during a very short period when it went live briefly Shaun! Thanks for the comment though.
Tony

Current build:
iggie

Post by iggie »

Nothing paltry about that collection, especially if you factor in all the 3D design work and printing you've done alongside a lot of the builds!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

TeeELL wrote: January 4th, 2024, 8:26 pm
ShaunW wrote: January 4th, 2024, 6:50 pm That's one more than I managed to get finished, Tony and it looks excellent, interwar RAF biplanes do make for attractive subjects.
You must have caught my post during a very short period when it went live briefly Shaun! Thanks for the comment though.
I was in a bit of a rush, Tony and obviously pulled the trigger too quickly! Nothing paltry about this little lot, you have some excellent builds.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
H-bomb
Is His Name Really Howard?

Post by H-bomb »

Some very nice stuff there. That Hucks starter is particularly good 😊
Cheers Howcoolisthat
acquired 1
Built 2
Disposed none

On the bench. Airfix Handley Page 0/400 , Escadron Hunting Percival Pembroke
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

iggie wrote: January 4th, 2024, 11:09 pm Nothing paltry about that collection, especially if you factor in all the 3D design work and printing you've done alongside a lot of the builds!
I can only echo what Jim says Tony, especially given the research and care that you bring to your builds. I wish I could mimic a fraction of that outcome.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Not what I'd call paltry, Tony.

David
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

A excellent years work Tony - and some very interesting subjects to boot.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Some good stuff there. Love the little Lanc.
So many models, so little time.
X12A

Post by X12A »

Some crackers there Tony and a good output.
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Thanks everyone.
Tony

Current build:

Return to “Small Talk”