Re: NSU Ro80

Post by DavidWomby »

Gorgeous. I always liked that design.

David
wokka
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by wokka »

Yeh, As Audi bought out NSU in the 70's I wonder whether NSU influenced Audi design philosophy. Look at the Audi 80 from the mid 80's, seems to be a few similarities to me.
It's only pain, work through it.
bugatti fan
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by bugatti fan »

Such a revolutionary car in its day with the Wankel rotary engine fitted.
Lovely body styling that would not look out of place today.
I read some time ago that the engines were often replaced with more conventional Ford engines as the Wankel units became unreliable.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

That color is really eye catching
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Zee28
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Zee28 »

A very interestingly engineered car, great colour too.

Some may remember the Contessa Caroline di Contini (played by Nyree Dawn Porter) occasionally using one in the 1970s TV action series The Protectors, a fairly rare screen appearance for an unusual car.

Everyone remembers the famous Wankel engine (and the worrying wear rate of the early ones) but the thing that stuck in my mind was the semi-auto gearbox with no clutch pedal. It had some sort of micro-switch sensor on the gear shifter and would disengage some sort of clutch mechanism as soon as you put your hand on the gear stick and would ready itself for a gear change! It was very weird to drive and the memory has stuck with me.

Fabulous ride quality thanks to Citroenesque style soft springing but it made it feel a bit roly-poly. But it looked very aero and futuristic back in ‘68 and set the styling trend for Audi for the future.

Several people were working on development of a Wankel rotary engine for cars back in those days (even GM in the USA) but most gave up due to either poor fuel consumption or terrible emissions (which was already starting to become a real concern in the US). Fortunately, the Germans didn't seem to worry about such trivial things as emissions!

Interesting find Wokka.

Return to “The Garage”