Modelling Plans for 2024?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
X12A
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Modelling Plans for 2024?

Post by X12A »

wokka wrote: December 20th, 2023, 6:48 pm I have to get over Christmas first, I'm going to Hospital on Friday for major over the top life and death treatment, it is like that unfortunately. If it goes well As it'll go well I'll be out after 3 weeks and then it'll be the the vehicle GB followed by more helicopters than this year. I've also got a couple of Italian WW2 aircraft to build and I want to develop a theme around Bristol aircraft.
Firstly, good luck Wokka.

Secondly,

1. After reviewing my stash, I need to make a serious dent in it and not buy anything else!

2. Aftermarket decals and conversion sets will be permitted to ensure compliance with serial 1.

3. I may relent because I really want a Mk XIV Spit

4. See serial 1.

5. Must do more 'Wrong Trousers' projects, only managed one last year - probably to much rejoicing from the group!

6. Must do a few SEAC builds.

7. Must have a go at doing some armour.

8. See serial 1 - and comply!

Let's see how long that lasts! :lol:

Cheers,

J
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

X12A wrote: January 12th, 2024, 8:36 pm

Cheers,

J
About a week from past personnel experience... :-D
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Thinking about what to do this year, I really drawn to building some more light jets - hence the Hawk 200 and AMX purchases recently. along with a couple of Hawk T.1s - I might also pick up a Hunter and Special Hobby's new F-84 Thunderstreak.

I was also pondering building a few more helicopters, even before the Airfix Chinook announcement. I have a Pave Low and Seaking that are both moving to the top of the pile, and I really fancy building a Kamov.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
X12A

Post by X12A »

Stuart wrote: January 13th, 2024, 1:44 pm
X12A wrote: January 12th, 2024, 8:36 pm

Cheers,

J
About a week from past personnel experience... :-D
:lol: :lol: Be about right Stuart!
Cardinal
Getting well comfy!

Post by Cardinal »

My main list of goals narrows to a single project. The first “wargame” I did was almost 5 years ago now, way before I had tanks, and I’ve done a few of my own custom rules and games since then. The first one with a setup (by that I mean, proper grass base, trees, houses that aren’t just boxes, and a table) was November last year, and it really proved to me what I am capable of with making these battlefields. But that was phase one, and the new year brings a new plan.

This project covers Normandy in a fictional town, so that there is less effort than to map out an entire town that did exist and means I can loophole certain vehicles against opponents. There will be a few planned objectives:

Axis:
Occupy the town or strategic locations.
Destroy armor groups or cut off supply lines.
Defend artillery or anti-aircraft elements.

Allies:
Liberate the town or capture strategic locations.
Eliminate armor groups and supply lines.
Disable artillery and anti-aircraft for air support.

Another goal is to try and only use one scale. In the past I’ve used 1/76 and 1/72 together on the field, either due to availability of a kit, being unable to get a kit or pricing. But now I think with newer tools, understanding and (a bit) more budget, I will start only doing 1/76. Not only a challenge, but in my opinion a worthwhile decision. I will still post 1/72 kits since there’s a few to paint up, but you will likely see more 1/76 or just that entirely eventually. Hopefully I won't need to buy too many resin products... Who knows in the end.

A new set of rules for my wargames. I don't play by any established rulebooks, often I instead find myself thinking up my own rules or a simplified way to play, usually goes pretty smooth, but I want to make it a bit more complicated with different tanks having stronger armor or guns.

I could use some new tables for my battles. Mostly due to the fact I can't just always borrow the dining room for my battles (It was an exception the time it did happen) and a better spot would be the garage, seeing as it only gets used when the snow comes falling. I imagine simple folding tables will be enough for what I am looking for and would be plenty fit for the task.

Who knows though, I might just find myself distracted. I should hope not, this plan looks like a lot of fun :lol:
Alex

The more effort I put into a model, the better it becomes!
B4en

Post by B4en »

Cardinal wrote: January 21st, 2024, 5:01 am I will start only doing 1/76. Not only a challenge, but in my opinion a worthwhile decision. I will still post 1/72 kits since there’s a few to paint up, but you will likely see more 1/76 or just that entirely eventually. Hopefully I won't need to buy too many resin products... Who knows in the end.
Plenty of old Airfix kits to choose from then Cardinal, or Fujimi if you can find them. There are (or were) a few white metal kit producers in the UK who do 1/76 - not sure you could find them in the US though.
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
RayS

Post by RayS »

I hope to increase the build quantity this year, two completed already. One from last year and a newbuild finished in a couple of weeks which is approaching some sort of record to my usual dragged out builds.

My aim is to reduce the shelf of doom at the same rate I start new builds (it is working so far) and if I want clear the shelf this year I would have to finish around 60 models, so that will not be happening.

I want to finish any models started for Group Builds this year which I was not very successful at last year. I suppose I have started on a positive note as I have started and completed a Ventura for the Twins GB over on BritModeller already!

Here is to a fruitful modelling year for me!

Bring on the C-130 GB I say!
Ray
-----------------------

Return to “Small Talk”