PZL P.24, Turkish Air Force 1939

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Spaceowl
Modelling Gent and Scholar

PZL P.24, Turkish Air Force 1939

Post by Spaceowl »

PZL P.24 of 21st Fighter Squadron, VII Battalion, Corlu, Turkey, 1939

The PZL P.24 was a progressive evolution of the Polish PZL P.11 developed as a private venture. Although the Polish Air Force weren't interested - it wasn't significantly better in performance than the serving P.11s - it sold well in the Balkans, being bought by the armed forces of Romania, Bulgaria, Greece and Turkey. This is a Turkish example which served as a frontline fighter from its purchase in 1937 to its replacement by the Fw-190 in 1943, by which time it was thoroughly obsolete.

The excellent kit by IBG of Poland captures the sleek art deco lines of this handsome fighter, especially the trademark Pulaski wing characteristic of PZL fighters. It went together nicely needing almost no filler and although a bit fiddly as a result of the engineering of the real world aircraft, went together well. I have a few more IBG kits in my stash to work on, and if this is an example of their quality of work I'm looking forward to them.

The kit was somewhat let down by the decals, produced by another Polish form, Techmod. They are very rigid, taking a long time to respond to setting solution, and don't conform that well to the complex topography of the PZL. If I do another, I might resort to aftermarket decals or stencils instead. Another equally iffy Polish product was the Montex precut masks which suffered a lot of bleed-under of paint during the spraying process, giving the disappointing result you see here. That's the second time that has happened with a Montex mask, by the way.

So, there we are, a handsome THK fighter of the early war period. It served alongside Curtiss Hawk II biplanes - am I brave enough to add a biplane to the lineup?
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Re: PZL P.24, Turkish Air Force 1939

Post by Migrant »

I like that a lot, very unusual subject and markings. What scale is it?
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Interesting build and good write up about the kit and the real plane - very interesting, and educational as I just spent 15 minutes Googling the Balkans and the countries within etc. Great job all around!
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Very nice indeed and the PZL is certainly a characterful aircraft but I bet those Turkish pilots were glad to get their hands on a more modern type like the FW-190 by 1943 though! I think you will rise to the challenge of a biplane well enough.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Spaceowl

Post by Spaceowl »

Migrant wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 3:44 pm I like that a lot, very unusual subject and markings. What scale is it?
It's 1/72 sale, Mike. It's the only scale I model in; not enough display space otherwise.
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
X12A

Post by X12A »

Nice one Space - not seen one of these before.
B4en

Post by B4en »

A fine finish on an unusual type! 8-)
Spaceowl wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 2:20 pm It served alongside Curtiss Hawk II biplanes - am I brave enough to add a biplane to the lineup?
Don't think about it, do it... As the Pink Fairies used to sing.
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Another new type to me but very interesting and very well presented. Thanks too for the historical information.

Yup - get on with the biplane, they are not nearly as difficult as you may think.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Looks good, and very good write-up.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.

Return to “Aviation Modelling”