CBK heading to Leeds Model Show 11 Feb 2024

What makes a British kit a Classic? What Classic kit is really British? What is the SIG all about and what goes on...from initial musings, to full on campaigning. It'll all be here, interspersed with talk of Texan Bars, Alias Smith & Jones and The Flashing Blade, Footy Cards and Bath Night, before School.

Moderators: JamesPerrin, mattbacon

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

CBK heading to Leeds Model Show 11 Feb 2024

Post by JamesPerrin »

So for the first time since lockdown my decreasingly local* model show is on and CBK SIG will be in attendance.

* previous known as Huddersfield and then Halifax model shows.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: CBK heading to Leeds Model Show 11 Feb 2024

Post by JamesPerrin »

Mat Bacon and I attended the Leeds Model show with our LMS'73 display. The new venue was the exhibition hall at the Armouries and was probably slightly larger than the sports halls we've used in the past. We've two "(pre-clothed) tables we got all the important stuff out on display and left the paraphernalia in the bags.

Unfortunately, the lighting in the room was ill-suited to such an event as a modelling show. The lighting was inadequate made worse by the black ceiling and black fabric-covered walls which meant almost all the light was directional from straight above. This was the first show since Covid due to the last-minute cancellation last year due to the organizing teams suffering some tragic events. Unfortunately, this did seem to have an impact on the number of displays and traders. Almost everyone had two tables for display - many a time we've had just one and some notable displays were missing. The same when for traders as yu would have been hard-pushed to find paint and glue and other modelling sundries. The fact that the South-West Modelat Bovington show now runs over both Saturday and Sunday obviously being a contributing factor.

Not all doom and gloom Matt and I had plenty of conversations over the day with punters who really enjoyed the display's concept and some recalled the LMSs that we had featured.

DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by DavidWomby »

Well done. Nice to see the LMS 73 stuff reused with a new audience.

if you can box it and get it here by Friday, I could display it at the Jacksonville show this weekend :-D

David
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Very nice display - well done, James and Matt!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

If you look at the cards at the left hand end, you can see one of the cards has a shop called “Hobbies” on it. At out neighbouring table were the IPMS Merseyside crew, and several cheery chaps started the day off the way it was going to go on by sharing their memories of stopping off in that very shop in central Liverpool for hours at a time (and a further interesting conversation about whatever happened to those 1:1 replica guns from LS which featured in the shops display, enlivened by the one of their number who’d spent 30 years in the Liverpool
Police, ending in years on the firearms crime task force…)
Best,
M.
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by chrism »

while the Bovington show was held over 2 days, and some clubs and traders did both, there were a considerable number of both clubs and traders, who did only attend on the Saturday - my two IPMS branch clubs being among them. I did not take A&NVM there either. As for traders - Vince (MFS), Justin (Bookworld) Tim (Affinity) and Mr Models were there all weekend, who might have gone north, but many of the other traders were definite local southern based traders who I would not have expected to take a trip to Leeds. As a show organiser myself, I do know that quite a few traders now, tend not to bring too much paint and smaller sundry stuff with them as they either report getting it nicked, or the ranges are now so large that they inevitably bring the wrong choices and it takes up a lot of space in their vans. They prefer you to pre-order for collection!!

Good to see you got a bit more mileage out of the display and had a good day and (I read in the other thread), found some bargains.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Some YouTube coverage every display at the show courtesy of MsModeller, directly link to our display https://youtu.be/cn-iKSluMfg?feature=shared&t=1084

beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

The display looks great. Well done James and Matt. It's a shame about the lighting in the hall; I wonder if anything will be considered to address it for next year?
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

beany wrote: February 13th, 2024, 12:47 pm The display looks great. Well done James and Matt. It's a shame about the lighting in the hall; I wonder if anything will be considered to address it for next year?
Unfortunately, I seriously doubt it though the centre could at least replace the jury-rigged light above us and the flickering light opposite. It did make me think about an LED strip along the table front edge facing rearwards and powered-off batteries.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The display looked good, James, despite the lighting deficiencies in the hall. I was disappointed not to be able to attend but it couldn't be helped. At least you and Matt sound like you had a good day.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

My good friend Rob at Frontline hobbies was trading at the show and did a couple of videos, here's one featuring the CBK.

https://youtu.be/OyOY-jNneoM?si=oat2ssGNF3A2BOeu

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Nice!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"

Return to “Classic British Chat”