MoMil's Bench

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Lone Modeller
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: MoMil's Bench

Post by Lone Modeller »

That looks far too tidy to me - rather like Martin's in fact!
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

The shelf of mosquitos is a lovely site
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

I do like that red-tailed Mossie scheme, it looks great. They all do, in fact.
JamesPerrin wrote: February 25th, 2024, 12:32 am I’m trying to make myself tidy the bench at the end of every build. It makes it more welcoming for when you’re ready to start the next project.
I've found that too James, even though 20 minutes into any build and I'm working in a 6" square.
MoMil
Active Participant

Post by MoMil »

Many thanks for the nice comments about the Mossies

I didn't realise that I hadn't posted since February but life seems to have got the better of me over the last few weeks. I did start the Arma Hurricane IIc a few weeks ago but progress was slow, partly because of life but also due to the accuracy and complexity of the kit. It is, probably, the best 1/48 Hurricane but it involves some very small pieces that are a distinct challenge to my fat, aging and slightly shaky fingers. My one big criticism is the number and thickness of the spruce gates, some even overlapping onto mating surfaces, but I guess thats how they get the fine detail on all exterior surfaces. Anyway, enough rambling , a couple of 'so far' shots -

An unusual way to start the build but the cockpit is superbly detailed -

I had some difficulty getting the fuselage to fit over the cockpit section, probably my fault although I did, for once follow the instructions! I ended up resorting to brute force and eventually managed a fit. I now have something that resembles a Hurricane although, as always, most of the cockpit detail is hidden in darkness.

Thanks for your time.
Cheers, Neale.

Close enough for government work
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

The cockpit detail is, as you write, superb. Just a shame that it cannot be seen on the completed model.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Exactly. Is it possible to leave the side flaps open?
MoMil
Active Participant

Post by MoMil »

Softscience wrote: April 7th, 2024, 8:12 pm Exactly. Is it possible to leave the side flaps open?
I didn’t consider that as the Hurricane side panel was an emergency exit rather than Spitfire where if was an access panel for the cockpit.
Cheers, Neale.

Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Very nice work on that interior!

Personally I'm not 100% convinced by these Amra kits. They seem to keep getting rave reviews, but from what I've seen of peoples (and mine) builds they can be very fiddly with too much (imho) detail. I had to bin my Hurricane as I didn't find the instructions that clear and ended up installing the U/C bay parts incorrectly, which made the leg installation next to impossible.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Stuart wrote: April 9th, 2024, 10:04 am Very nice work on that interior!

Personally I'm not 100% convinced by these Amra kits. They seem to keep getting rave reviews, but from what I've seen of peoples (and mine) builds they can be very fiddly with too much (imho) detail. I had to bin my Hurricane as I didn't find the instructions that clear and ended up installing the U/C bay parts incorrectly, which made the leg installation next to impossible.
The gear legs can be installed after the bay roof goes in. There is a YouTube video showing how. I can't find it at the moment, but I know it's there because I followed it while building mine.

Something about Arma's 1/48 hurricanes that seems strange to me is the surface detail. It looks excessively busy to my eye.
iggie

Post by iggie »

I've got a few of the Arma 1/72 kits but not attempted any yet so cannot comment on the buildability, they do look good though from looking at the various ones done in here, and your Hurricane is looking very good indeed Neale 👍
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
MoMil
Active Participant

Post by MoMil »

Stuart wrote: April 9th, 2024, 10:04 am Very nice work on that interior!

I must agree the instruction are not the best and, as I said, there is almost ‘too much’ detail. My biggest gripe is the size of the spruce gates and the time wasted removing them from mating faces.
Cheers, Neale.

B4en

Post by B4en »

Despite the fiddliness that cockpit does look great!
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
MoMil
Active Participant

Post by MoMil »

Thanks B4en.

Quick update on the Hurricane. I was in a quandary regarding the final finish and markings as I have several Hurricanes in various nightfighter and day finishes but all was resolved when I found the kit included the Volks Filter plus I discovered an old sheet of decals which included the markings for F/O Houle of 213 Sqn based at Edku, Egypt. Problem solved as I dont have a 1/48 desert scheme Hurricane in the collection. Progress so far -

Now away for the weekend so gloss coat and decal next week.
Cheers, Neale.

Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

I think that the Hurricane looks best in desert colours.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Lone Modeller wrote: April 19th, 2024, 6:09 pm I think that the Hurricane looks best in desert colours.
I certainly agree, and the Vokes filter also 'fits' better on the Hurricane than it does on the Spitfire; I still can't bring myself to build a Spit with one :shock:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “Workbench Window”