CBK SMW 2024 theme discussion...

What makes a British kit a Classic? What Classic kit is really British? What is the SIG all about and what goes on...from initial musings, to full on campaigning. It'll all be here, interspersed with talk of Texan Bars, Alias Smith & Jones and The Flashing Blade, Footy Cards and Bath Night, before School.

Moderators: JamesPerrin, mattbacon

SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: CBK SMW 2024 theme discussion...

Post by SJPONeill »

I like the gift box idea. It's one that goes to the heart of many/most older modellers especially those who have taken a break (girls, cars, beers) and returned to the hobby...the kit that got away...and I think it would resonate with 99% of SMW attendees...I'd almost be tempted to smear Airfix tube glue all over an original Airfix Gnat and send it up from down under...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Re chrism.

I volunteer to obtain the beer bottles! Unfortunately it’s been done before by another branch and doesn’t relate to classic kits.

Any theme should come with a healthy dollop of nostalgia.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

PaulBradley wrote: February 21st, 2024, 2:32 am Strongbow - the Airfix Robin Hood kit.....
Old Peculiar - Blackburn Roc :ha:
Up in the Great White North
planecrazyman61
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by planecrazyman61 »

it might be an old idea but i thought the 2020 world tour cbk was a good idea that didn't get an airing due to covid ,i looked for the thread on it James but could not find it on the forum could you list the idea again for consideration
thanks Craig
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

planecrazyman61 wrote: February 28th, 2024, 11:13 pm it might be an old idea but i thought the 2020 world tour cbk was a good idea that didn't get an airing due to covid ,i looked for the thread on it James but could not find it on the forum could you list the idea again for consideration
thanks Craig
Craig, it's under "Previous Displays", the "SMW 2020 Postponed" sub-forum, in the (short) Discussion -- https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=19406

I am going to check with James if we want to display that in the front page index. I also note that 2019 isn't showing either. Good catch, young man !
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

JohnRatzenberger wrote: February 29th, 2024, 5:55 pm I am going to check with James if we want to display that in the front page index. I also note that 2019 isn't showing either. Good catch, young man !
Sorted
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Just read about the world tour and it sounds really interesting. Already looking on Amazon for small flags on sticks to have on the table (just in case it is an option as a theme for this year).

P.S. Found some - I'll just leave this here...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/24-Piece-Count ... C85&sr=8-1

We could always buy a second set to re-use the poles and make up any flags we need that are not represented here.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

I seem to remember that I really liked the round the world idea. 👍 (I know I say this most years, but) I am going to try and get to SMW this year.

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I read the discussion and it does sound like a good idea. I do like Al's flags, too!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

This is what I wrote last time:
There are several posts about "markings" suggesting aircraft are being considered but as James suggests, in addition there is a whole gamut of other non-British stuff done by Airfix, FROG, early Matchbox including Japanese and German cars and motorbikes - classic sailing ships (e.g. WASA), loads of foreign soldier sets and individual figures (Anne Boleyn, Joan Of Arc?!), American space vehicles etc. to name but a very few.

What I am seeing now is a few of the better represented countries painted onto stiff card and cut out, with the appropriate cars, planes, soldiers and figures etc. standing on them, maybe outline in sea blue for any ships, the the lesser represented country can just have a smaller geometric shaped base with the appropriate flag on a pole. This will mean determining before hand what the majority of the builds will be to determine which countries to paint etc.
I believe many of the se kits will already exist in peoples collections - Matchbox Mirages and Alpha Jets for France and or the Patroille Swiss - Swiss F-18s, Japanese motorcycles or Cars - I think we could create a huge list. I would be happy to do the painting or share that task.

Again just a suggestion for a theme for this year - but one that already has my imagination running over...
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1

Return to “Classic British Chat”