Rigging using bait elastic. Any tips please?

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
CementNotGlue
Active Participant

Rigging using bait elastic. Any tips please?

Post by CementNotGlue »

Hi all
I thought I'd try, for the first time, bait elastic to rig a 1/72 Frog gypsey moth. Which glue? Do I still need to drill holes and do I add rigging before or after airbrushing?
I look forward to learning of your experiences.
Anyone curious of what I bought:
https://www.taskers-angling.co.uk/produ ... astic-200m
TeeELL
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Rigging using bait elastic. Any tips please?

Post by TeeELL »

CNG,
you are going to get a number of options I suspect! My method (which uses monofilament invisible thread or fishing line), drill holes as close to ‘in alignment’ with the rigging angle, remember that as a general rule, rigging lines will disappear into the wing away from the strut so I drill about 1-1.5mm away from the strut. Painting, I will paint the under side of the top wing and top side of the lower wing before the rigging.
Connecting the rigging: I pass the rigging up through the hole in the top wing, double it back and pull the loop into the hole such that it ‘just’ enters the hole - use thin cyno to fix. Once all the rigging is secure in the top wing pass the other ends through their respective holes in the lower wing.
Fix the upper wing in place.
I then tension opposing rigging using clamping tweezers as ‘weights’ and secure the rigging again with cyno. Repeat until all the rigging is done.
Done correctly, the rigging will actually add to the structural strength of the model. Oh, if there is any misalignment with the wings you can correct this with the rigging!
For rigging that starts in the fuselage, I fix that before closing the fuselage, a knot will ensure you don’t accidentally pull it out.
That is a very simplified description. See my workbench on the Gloster Grebe, LoneModellers fabulous work etc for images and more detailed explanations.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown

Return to “Construction Tips”