Softscience in 2022 and Beyond

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Re: Softscience in 2022 and Beyond

Post by Softscience »

Begrudgingly, the top wing went on. At least temporarily.

Either the cabane struts are a touch too long, the interplane struts a touch too short, or the lower wing doesn't have enough dihedral, or I did something wrong, or a combination of the above, but the interplane struts didn't reach both wings without a bit of pressure. I'm worried that once the tape comes off the wings, the interplane struts are going to pop open. The wing also has an ever so slight twist to it. Right now everything kind of moves. It's all very concerning.

Oh and I realized I drilled my rigging holes to close to some of the struts (the x bracing on the interplanes) and they are now obscured with struts. That going to be interesting to fix.

Everything is a little messy; especially the rest cabane struts. I hate messy on models, it totally trip my OCD switches, but I'm trying to let it be until I can stabilize the wing. It's making me really irritated though.

Right now I don't know if I'll be able to finish this model successfully, but it's good practice working with a mediocre quality short run. If I can figure out the struts on here, I can do struts on anything! Well no, but on many things.

Really guys. Talk me off the edge. I want to go mess with this.to fix it.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

This morning before work, I tried fitting the rear interplane struts, and they're about half a millimeter too short. I thought that maybe I had reversed the front and rear struts, but no; they're longer than the front struts, but still a touch too short. So how the hell do I lengthen a strut? :(
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Softscience wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 3:32 pm So how the hell do I lengthen a strut? :(
I'd make them from scratch. If you've aerofoil plastic rod great, if not start with some round of the sufficient diameter and run it between sand paper to flatten it.

or maybe you could look in the bin for a disposed kit with some strut of the required length :mrgreen:
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Lone Modeller
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Lone Modeller »

An alternative is to do what I do and take some strip and file the edges to aerofoil section. I am sure that when you put the rear cabanes in the wing will be stronger. Do not give up or fiddle with it: put it on one side until you feel a bit calmer and then attempt the struts only. If taht works you will immediately feel better. (How do I know?.........)

Good luck - you are doing really well at the moment - not the time to give up.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

I just attempted to cut loose the rear cabane struts to lower the angle of the wing and see if the rear struts would reach.

It worked!

But...

When I looked at the wings from the back I noticed All four interplane struts were now angled several degrees to one side.

Before my brain could fully process what was happening, the whole upper wing finished collapsing! :roll: :lol:

Oh well. Learning experience. I'm putting the model away for now and will come back to it when I have a bit more practice with simpler, better engineered kits.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Some biplanes just really test your patience like that, others seem to just almost snap together at this point in the assembly...I think there are as many ways to attempt the wing join as there are members on this forum, and even then, methods get adapted to suit each different build :grin:
Growing another pair of hands would definitely help, but failing that, good old perseverance and swearing is the next best option :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Ah, the frustration of fitting the top wing that plagues some biplane kits and I feel your pain. I've had to scratch up new struts on a few occasions, Ralph and I don't build bipes that often. FWIW, if ever I'm asked about which type offers one of the easier ways, note I didn't say "easy", into building biplanes I will invariably suggest the Fokker DVII, which had cantilever wings and therefore little in the way of rigging, with no inter-plane rigging at all and relatively few struts. There are plenty of interesting schemes to choose from so it might be worth building a couple or more to get some multi-wing practice in - indeed if you need any, your Roland turned out well enough.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

iggie wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 8:40 am
Growing another pair of hands would definitely help, but failing that, good old perseverance and swearing is the next best option :-D
If I put as much energy into growing extra arms as I do into colorful expression, perhaps I'd be halfway there now :-D :mrgreen: :grin:
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

ShaunW wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 1:56 pm Ah, the frustration of fitting the top wing that plagues some biplane kits and I feel your pain. I've had to scratch up new struts on a few occasions, Ralph and I don't build bipes that often. FWIW, if ever I'm asked about which type offers one of the easier ways, note I didn't say "easy", into building biplanes I will invariably suggest the Fokker DVII, which had cantilever wings and therefore little in the way of rigging, with no inter-plane rigging at all and relatively few struts. There are plenty of interesting schemes to choose from so it might be worth building a couple or more to get some multi-wing practice in - indeed if you need any, your Roland turned out well enough.
It's not the rigging. Its the wing alignments. But yes. Fokker aircraft are often recommended to beginners. And I can see why.

For example, see my next post :-D
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

While failing with the Vildebeest, I was finishing up my fourth shelf-of-doom project. Some of you may remember this from 2021, or maybe it was 2020? In either case, this was another project that stalled at about the 90% mark. Meng's kit is okay, but the control horns are fragile, and I managed to break most of them, and the ailerons kept coming off. Anyhow, here it is,. A bit sloppy of you look too close (please don't zoom!) but done.

iggie

Post by iggie »

Lovely looking Dr.1 👍
I remember the aileron connection being rubbish when I built mine, not the best design ever. I got the feeling Wingnut Wings hadn't got a far as finalising that aspect of the project before they went under...
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Super Fokker which shows that you can put three wings together, which theoretically at least, ought to make putting two together easier. Except that theory and practice are two completely different things.

Have you thought of investing in a wing jig? I do not have one but I know of many modellers who think that they are a solution to the wing alignment problem.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Lone Modeller wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 5:48 pm
Have you thought of investing in a wing jig? I do not have one but I know of many modellers who think that they are a solution to the wing alignment problem.
I would like to get one, but they seem to be out of stock wherever I look. Suggestions?
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I zoomed and it still looks really good.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
B4en

Post by B4en »

Great Fokker Ralph! Hopefully the Beest will make a successful comeback at some point - I'm about ready to tackle my Bristol Scout again after some tome off from it.
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.

Return to “Workbench Window”