The kit in your stash that you're afraid to build!!

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: The kit in your stash that you're afraid to build!!

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Thanks, Jim, very helpful. I think I have discarded “collector” as one of my hobbies - winnowing down the stash is not a fear. We might have to relook this if the topic shifts to my library.

Right now half our family is a few hours away and Annette’s banana bread has failed once and we are not sure why. Her recipe is chiseled in stone tablets and this never happens. Serious !
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Stuart wrote: November 21st, 2023, 6:47 pm
Oh don't get me started on those, they're like rocking horse poo - and the Microlease boxing is next to impossible to find. My wife used to work for Microlease when she was younger and I'd dearly love to build one for her. It's getting to the point where I might have to kill someone to get one (kidding... just...maybe).
well I'll be damned... I've been looking for one of these for about 5 years... write this, go on ebay.. there's one there, with Mircolease decals... £25... Blooming 'eck!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Scary kits aren't just the difficult-to-build ones, but also the ones you really to get just right. Whether that is because you love the subject or you have some personal affinity with them.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Stuart wrote: November 21st, 2023, 6:52 pmwell I'll be damned... I've been looking for one of these for about 5 years... write this, go on ebay.. there's one there, with Mircolease decals... £25... Blooming 'eck!
Do it, do it!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

PaulBradley wrote: November 21st, 2023, 7:01 pm
Stuart wrote: November 21st, 2023, 6:52 pmwell I'll be damned... I've been looking for one of these for about 5 years... write this, go on ebay.. there's one there, with Mircolease decals... £25... Blooming 'eck!
Do it, do it!
lol! I bought it within 30 seconds of seeing it! :-D It'll be on the bench very shortly.

This is actually been an interesting discussion - of what makes us fear a kit. For me it's generally size, or when something falls outside my range of experience, for example the indy link tracks on the Tiger I'm building. Although sometimes I'm not sure if it's fear, or laziness at learning something new.

KellerModeller
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by KellerModeller »

Hello, when reading this thread there were already some stash inhabitants coming to my mind that for me definitely fulfill the "fear" requirement :shock: :-D .
I just read the GB rules, but didn't find how to enlist for a GB. Sorry if I just did not see it, but how may I join?
Thanks!
KM
I like to carve old kits into something roughly aircraft/tank shaped... :grin:
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

KellerModeller wrote: March 18th, 2024, 2:50 pm Hello, when reading this thread there were already some stash inhabitants coming to my mind that for me definitely fulfill the "fear" requirement :shock: :-D .
I just read the GB rules, but didn't find how to enlist for a GB. Sorry if I just did not see it, but how may I join?
Thanks!
KM
You've joined! :grin:
We don't have any enlistment here, only people who misunderstood the question volunteers :-D
The GB starts 4th May and runs for 3 months, so plenty of time for the largest of kits, or the most scary in your stash, just keep an eye out for the threads being opened a few days beforehand :)
Good to have you onboard!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

I think that, on reflection, the kit I am most afraid of building is the Airfix Phantom FGR2. Having flown them I feel that the need to get it ‘right’ adds an excessive amount of pressure! If I participate in the GB then that will be the model I will tackle.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
iggie

Post by iggie »

TeeELL wrote: March 18th, 2024, 4:29 pm I think that, on reflection, the kit I am most afraid of building is the Airfix Phantom FGR2. Having flown them I feel that the need to get it ‘right’ adds an excessive amount of pressure! If I participate in the GB then that will be the model I will tackle.
Now this I'm looking forward to! :grin:
This will of course include the three million stencils?
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

TeeELL wrote: March 18th, 2024, 4:29 pm I think that, on reflection, the kit I am most afraid of building is the Airfix Phantom FGR2. Having flown them I feel that the need to get it ‘right’ adds an excessive amount of pressure! If I participate in the GB then that will be the model I will tackle.
Very good choice Tony, I'd like to see that build. I'm currently listening to 'Phantom Boys' by Richard Pike. It's an interesting view into an RAF aircraft that I don't know a huge amount about.

KellerModeller

Post by KellerModeller »

iggie wrote: March 18th, 2024, 3:27 pm You've joined! :grin:
We don't have any enlistment here, only people who misunderstood the question volunteers :-D
The GB starts 4th May and runs for 3 months, so plenty of time for the largest of kits, or the most scary in your stash, just keep an eye out for the threads being opened a few days beforehand :)
Good to have you onboard!
Thanks, that was easy 🤭
The 2 most likely candidates at the moment are the Airfix 1/24 Fw-190 or the Roden 1/72 Gotha.
I think for the second one I don't need to explain on why I fear it 😂, and for the first one online research (more than a decade ago) has indicated that the fit might leave lots to be desired and also getting the wing dihedral is tricky. And then there is the SIZE 😳. Regular modeling techniques might meet their limit and I might hit the wall and my head regulary while handling it... 😁
KellerModeller

Post by KellerModeller »

Oh and then there is the ICM Ilya Muromets... 😁
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

The Mandalorian Razor Crest. Definitely not a NMF nightmare that I am terrified of entering into. No, sir....
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Funnily enough, I was just thinking about this GB this morning and looking at my potential torturers.....! :lol: :lol:
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
KellerModeller

Post by KellerModeller »

PaulBradley wrote: March 24th, 2024, 9:30 pm Funnily enough, I was just thinking about this GB this morning and looking at my potential torturers.....! :lol: :lol:
Torturers is plural, so it's not only the Spitfire that may appear here? 🤔😁

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”