Robert Burdon. Master Modeller Aug 1947 to Nov 2023

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Chuck E
Established 1949

Robert Burdon. Master Modeller Aug 1947 to Nov 2023

Post by Chuck E »

Just a short post to remember my oldest modelling buddy, who I have known for over 50 years.

I dropped in for our usual night of cakes, coffee and modelling last Tuesday, only to find the lights out, and curtains drawn. I asked if any of the neighbours had seen him. No one had, so I let myself in, with a neighbour, who is also in the Police force. We found Bob face down in the bedroom, having suffered a massive stroke. I immediately phoned for an ambulance, which came while I was still on the phone. They got him downstairs and into the ambulance. We arrived at A&E within 30 minutes. When I got there, slightly later, he was already being treated. He was transferred to Durham Stroke Unit at four in the morning. I went up later in the morning. He was still just semi-conscious, unable to speak, and was paralysed down his left side, unable to eat or drink, as the huge bleed had caused an issue with his swallow reflex. Any drink would have choked him. It became apparent that he had been laid out for 3 days before we found him. He never really came back to us, though he seemed determined to remove his pipes and tubes. He started to slip away while we were there. He remained sleeping peacefully until his heart stopped on Friday. He had a signed DNR, so the hospital staff were unable to do any more for him.

Mike Burns and I had been in to see him until he passed. He left an unbelievable number of completed models, a lot of part built models, and a small, but impressive stash. Most being Mosquitos, which was his latest modelling project. Bob had won a few awards over the years, but his models clashed a little with the latest fashion concentrating on fine, artistic painting techniques, pre-shading, heavy weathering, and vast amounts of after market items, from etched brass, to resin, to pre cut mask sets, to 3D printed parts, which could cost more than the expensive kits. Bob just built his kits to match photo references, profiles, and detailed drawings. The models were not weathered, as they were not used with scenic bases. They do show tremendous attention to detail and accuracy, as well as very neat paintwork. That's how he wanted his models to look, so that's how he did it. He had a vast knowledge of aircraft, and was determined to make the model look as accurate as possible. He wanted to show the individual types, versions and featured squadrons. He didn't do anything by halves. His long standing friends are going to miss him a lot. He died just before the 11th Hour, of the 11th Day, of the 11th Month. Bob actually served in the T.A. for many years as part of R.E.M.E.

We certainly will not forget him. Especially while we are trying to complete a large number of part finished models. Bob did all the intricate internal work first, then sealed up the fuselage, getting the main components assembled and painted, leaving a lot of detail parts, wheels, decals etc in Ice Cream tubs. We now have to match the tubs to the models. Luckily, he included the serial numbers, and often Squadron details and scheme. His collection was left to his friends, so they will soon be found new homes. Many will still be included in club displays for Coastal Command and North East Airfields. His work will live on.

Raise a glass to Bob Burdon. Master Modeller, Craftsman, and our best friend. 3rd August 1947 to 11th November 2023.

Some of Bob's models are shown here. Most are 1/48th, though his Bomber Collection is 1/72nd, and his Harriers are 1/24th. When the good weather returns, I will be taking more photos. Here are a few for now.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/23594891@ ... 6326372815

So many models, so little time.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Robert Burdon. Master Modeller Aug 1947 to Nov 2023

Post by JamesPerrin »

I don’t know what to say Chuck. At least you were with him at the end and his legacy will live on among his friends.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

JamesPerrin wrote: November 13th, 2023, 9:35 pm I don’t know what to say Chuck. At least you were with him at the end and his legacy will live on among his friends.
It certainly will. He could have filled a whole display room, the size of a badminton court, with his models.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

Never an easy time, but you being there will I'm sure have been a comfort to your friend in his last hours and his modelling legacy will live on through the completion of his builds and the models he left behind.

I hope that all those who live alone, whether though choice or circumstance, will have such a good friend as you have been...
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

A nice little tribute.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
Crashpilot
...happily fooling around with styrene

Post by Crashpilot »

I read your tribute with great respect. So many we lose all of a sudden, and then, there´s a void.
Not everyone gets such a touching tribute like your friend got.
Waiting for the day, when wars for territory will be something to be read about in history books only.

Playing Tetris taught me: If I clean up too much, my kits disappear.....8-(

Markus, alias Crashpilot, or Crash, or CP, as you wish
wokka

Post by wokka »

In my job I come across a lot of stroke victims and it is sometimes heartbreaking when you hear the circumstances of their stroke but you were there for him, you found him and showed yourself to be a true friend. He would not have been able to communicate his true feelings but I'm sure he would have been grateful to have been helped by you. Next glass I raise I'll be thinking of Bob and you.
It's only pain, work through it.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice words Chuck. RIP Bob, and very nice models too

Nigel
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Very sad story. Those of us of a certain age are always pulled up a bit short when we hear stories like this.

Well done for looking after him as best you could.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Thank you all for your kind words. Here is Bob, in his element and loving every minute of it.

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This makes for very sad reading, but eloquently put, Chuck and it's clear that Robert had a bunch of great friends.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Spaceowl

Post by Spaceowl »

The local modelling group, of which Bob was a founder member, is having a Harrier group build in his honour. I will keep this thread updated with the results.
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Spaceowl wrote: November 19th, 2023, 10:01 pm The local modelling group, of which Bob was a founder member, is having a Harrier group build in his honour. I will keep this thread updated with the results.
Yes, Mike Burns mentioned it. I have all of Bob's 1/24th Harriers here. I have one to finish. From the basic Airfix kits, he built all the versions, including a Kestrel and Sea Harrier FA2. Both needed considerable conversion work. All scratch built. Every kit was completely upgraded using plastic card and home made resin parts. He made new wheels to replace the kit parts. The only thing he bought in were Neomega seats, as he loved the quality and accuracy.

Bob built all the versions of the Canberra, apart from the American Martin version, so I now have 18 large boxes stored in my shed. I have just been drawing up some modifications to the workshop and garage, so that I can display these models. I need to complete the Halifaxes, first. Mike is working on his Mosquito collection, which he was on with.
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

Sad news. May he rest in peace. Glad you could be there for him - clearly a faithful friend. Sounds (and looks) like an amazing collection! I hope it finds its way to where it will be appreciated.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

I have been sorting out the completed models from Bob's House, as it will be sold soon. Attached is around a third of his collection. I have taken photos to remind me what is there. In Summer, I will be setting up some photo bases and will take proper shots of the models. Hopefully, I will be able to do the same at Mike's house, too, so that we have a full photographic record of all the models.

Some are posted here, exactly as they are, boxed ready for shows.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/23594891@ ... 315658636/
Some are quite old. The boxes of old WWII fighters are over 40 years old.

Return to “Small Talk”