TeeELL’s New ‘cubby hole’ (and 3D) creations.

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
TeeELL
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: TeeELL’s New ‘cubby hole’ (and 3D) creations.

Post by TeeELL »

Thanks H.

The cockpit is sealed for the ‘paint shops’, all I need to add are some of the external bits before laying down some Tamiya primer.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Bit of a delay as I get all the necessary ‘bits’ positioned. I’ve decided the 3D printed inner pylons require shaping beyond my CAD skill set instead, I’ve modified the original kit inner pylons. They also needed some release marks filling.
Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

The fit of the pylons and bullet fairing is tricky, to try and achieve a better fit I removed the positioning ‘pip’ from the pylons and measured their position. The inner, cranked pylons need to be positioned central to the 2 gun barrels and the outer pylons 14mm out from them (the position on the wing for the outer pylons is, in fact, correct).
Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Fingers crossed today may see the primer getting applied. I must decide what I am going to do about the cannon barrels - I am leaning towards the conical red covers.
Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

I have a set of after market cast Javelin fuel tanks but the dimensions are different to those supplied in the Airfix 1:48 model (which I am assuming were LIDAR measured). I have spent 20 mins designing a set to print although I am slightly concerned that they are ‘solid’ so the resin won’t cure in the center - might have to change things.

Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

I have had to do some remedial work on the model - one of the ‘cranked’ pylons has un-cranked! I had to use a razor saw to cut out the filler, re-bend the pylon and glue and fill. A bit of sanding will be required. I am also replacing the cannon barrels but not bothering with the covers. I am a little behind schedule but should still manage to get some primer applied today.
Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

The primer has been applied. Tomorrow I need to look at and sort any areas that need a spot of Mr Surfacer and a further rub down/prime.

Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

I did some quick re-working of the fuel tanks, separating the tail end and making the 2 parts hollow. I printed 4 to see how they would turn out and, provided the 1:48 Airfix tanks are accurate, this is the end rrsult:

Left to right - supported print of my design, assembled version, 3rd party tank as supplied (which is shorter and fatter), same type of 3rd party tank from my original Javelin model.
Tony

Current build:
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

TeeELL wrote: March 25th, 2024, 8:45 am
Chuck E wrote: March 25th, 2024, 1:24 am Always great to see what you have been up to. I've been in a bit of a limbo on the models, but often just drop into the forum to catch up. I am really interested in the advances in 3D printing, but won't be taking it up anytime soon.
Chuck,
it is a sensible attitude to take. I didn’t invest in my printer until I was sure I could master the CAD software, I spent about 4 months working on items in the CAD stage and, fortunately, have a friend who could print my parts. Only then, when I felt I could justify the purchase, did I invest in my Elegoo printer.
Whilst I am getting quicker at design, I still have a huge amount to learn - that will occur if/when I need to learn those skills. Trouble is, I am at an age where, if I don’t do a bit of work every week with Fusion360, I forget processes!
I'm just amazed at how this whole thing has taken off. A few minutes, earlier on the Hannants site, brought up page after page of new 3D printed models and parts. One that appeared was a 3D Defiant in 1/144th scale, basically a whole aircraft printed in one piece, with detail parts in etched brass. I still don't think my prediction of being able to download a whole 1 piece kit, in a variety of colours and scales, is too far from the mark. Time will tell.
So many models, so little time.
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Chuck E wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 12:52 am I'm just amazed at how this whole thing has taken off. A few minutes, earlier on the Hannants site, brought up page after page of new 3D printed models and parts. One that appeared was a 3D Defiant in 1/144th scale, basically a whole aircraft printed in one piece, with detail parts in etched brass. I still don't think my prediction of being able to download a whole 1 piece kit, in a variety of colours and scales, is too far from the mark. Time will tell.
Chuck,
It is all a question of time and resources. At ‘my’ level I am simply creating improvements to elderly models created at a time before laser measuring and 3D scanning. I certainly do not have the skill or time to create complete models, but there are ‘complete’ models to be found on the 3D sites which can be purchased as files to be printed.
Tony

Current build:
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Fantastic progress Tony!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Thanks Stuart.
Tony

Current build:
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

TeeELL wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 7:13 am
Chuck E wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 12:52 am I'm just amazed at how this whole thing has taken off. A few minutes, earlier on the Hannants site, brought up page after page of new 3D printed models and parts. One that appeared was a 3D Defiant in 1/144th scale, basically a whole aircraft printed in one piece, with detail parts in etched brass. I still don't think my prediction of being able to download a whole 1 piece kit, in a variety of colours and scales, is too far from the mark. Time will tell.
Chuck,
It is all a question of time and resources. At ‘my’ level I am simply creating improvements to elderly models created at a time before laser measuring and 3D scanning. I certainly do not have the skill or time to create complete models, but there are ‘complete’ models to be found on the 3D sites which can be purchased as files to be printed.
You're doing a great job, Tony.
So many models, so little time.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Amazing corrections, Tony!
This is going to be the 1/72 Javelin, right?

Cheers,

David
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

I don’t know about the 1:72 Javelin, but it will certainly be ‘a’ 1:72 Javelin. I say that, because despite my efforts to get the outer wing section profile to match that of the inner, it seems (no pun intended) that more work is required at the fitting stage so I am still stuck with a mismatch. I’ve done all I can to minimise it. Still, I’ve 2 more so, who knows, I might yet get a good fit in the future!

David, I am pretty certain that if you built one ‘that’ would be the ultimate 1:72 Javelin.

Today I will be applying some more primer before heading off to ‘The Jet Age Museum’ and drooling over their Javelin FAW9 (which is inside, fortunately, as it is ‘persisting down’!
Tony

Current build:

Return to “Workbench Window”