Classic Plastic section in SAMI

What makes a British kit a Classic? What Classic kit is really British? What is the SIG all about and what goes on...from initial musings, to full on campaigning. It'll all be here, interspersed with talk of Texan Bars, Alias Smith & Jones and The Flashing Blade, Footy Cards and Bath Night, before School.

Moderators: JamesPerrin, mattbacon

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Classic Plastic section in SAMI

Post by JamesPerrin »

Original thread
Paul Bradley wrote:So the April issue of SAMI introduces a new feature - Classic Plastic, edited by yours truly. This is a very exciting project for me and, I hope, for you as well. The column represents a new venture for SAMI – a section especially devoted to classic kits. Each month, I’ll be taking a look at the world of classic kits, with, I hope, the help of my friends here at UAMF, and at the Classic British Kits SIGS, both UK and US branches. It is my hope that this column will resonate with you, the membership, as many of us started our hobby building the type of kits I intend to feature in Classic Plastic.

Over the past few years here at UAMF, we have all admired Mike Grant’s fabulous builds of classic kits, and in the past couple of years, Mike has also graced the pages of SAMI with his excellent models. My new column is intended to expand on Mike’s ethos of enjoying these kits with a minimal investment of time or money, but it will be more than just model builds – there’ll be history, opinions and photos. In this time of recession, many people can no longer afford many of the modern superkits, while at the same time, having many classics in their stashes – I’ll pull out some of these and take a closer look, and build some of them, in the hope that you’ll do the same. I’ll be delving into the history of both the kits and the companies that produced them, and I’ll talk to people in the hobby about their passion or the classics. My intent is to show the readership that there’s still relevancy in many of these kits, as well as a lot of fun and enjoyment to be had.

So, what is a Classic Kit, anyway? There really is no simple answer to this question, but it is helpful to try to come up with some rough parameters as a base of reference. Broadly speaking, and the definition we use at the Classic British Kits SIG, is that a kit is a “classic” if it is over 25 years old. At the present time, this includes everything that was first moulded prior to 1986, and by extension excludes everything created since.

And what can you, dear forum member, do to get involved? Well, if you want to have your model gracing the pages of the world’s most popular aviation modelling magazine, why not submit a couple of photos for the Gallery. Just send me a couple of hi-res photos and some notes about the model and we may include it in the mag. Alternatively, you could do a build report of one of your classics with in-progress photos of any special work you’ve done on the kit. Or you can do a ‘kit preview,’ known in Classic Plastic as Kit of the Month, on a golden oldie, highlighting the kit’s history with some notes on its accuracy. I cannot promise you the riches beyond avarice for your contribution, but you will receive a small reward.

Support of the CBK SIG is another big area where you can help out. We all love these kits, we all go to model shows, so why not get a little extra out of your hobby by helping out with the SIG, by building models for display, and/or by manning the stand at shows, for example. Contact James Perrin or Jim Bates to get signed up for the SIG, and remember that you are not required to be an IPMS member to join.

So, buy SAMI this month, tell me what you think and let me know your ideas and what you’d like to see.
:grin:
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Stamford
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Classic Plastic section in SAMI

Post by Stamford »

Great work James - one of the plus points of the oldies are the working features - no need to drop the flaps on a classic they do it anyway! If you ever see anything I´ve done you could use let me know I´d be dead chuffed.
running at the edge of their world
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Stamford wrote:If you ever see anything I´ve done you could use let me know I´d be dead chuffed.
It's our own Paul Bradley behind this (though you will see other familiar names crop up). If you've got some good hi-res shots of a classic kit or even a build article Paul will only be too happy to hear from you.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Thanks, James! :-D

Funny, I thought I'd moved this over..... :???: :shock: :roll:
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Hey, everyone – want the chance to see your classic kit build in print? Don’t forget to send me articles and photos of your classics, be they Airfix, Frog, or whoever – as long as the kit was released more than 25 years ago. I need articles and gallery photos for my Classic plastic column in SAMI. Word-wise, a length of 600 to 1,000 words is ideal, outlining what you did, along with up to 8 high resolution (300dpi or more) shots of your work in progress and of the completed model. One new stipulation is that you cannot have posted an in-progress build thread online, be it at your blog or on this or another forum – a shot or two of the completed model is OK, just not full build reports.

I can’t guarantee that I will use everything, but those who do have their work featured will be sent a reward for their efforts. Please contact me directly at paul (at) sampublications.com rather than in this thread. Thanks!!
Paul

Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Hi Paul,

Just wondering what's the reason behind a build report not having appeared online?

And does that cover images being in Photobucket or any other online image gallery?

Do you have any themes for Classic plastic?

Thanks
Jim
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Jim, it doesn't include stuff you have stored on PB.

The reason is that Gary wants fresh stuff in the mag, stuff that hasn't been seen before; many people now surf online as well as reading the mags, of course.
Paul

Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

It's a good section of the mag, James. I'll look into this. A Vintage Model from a Vintage Modeller ?
So many models, so little time.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Oi, less of the vintage, please...! :lol: :ha:
Paul

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Chuck E wrote:It's a good section of the mag, James. I'll look into this. A Vintage Model from a Vintage Modeller ?
The latter is not a unique selling point :grin:

I'm sure Paul will welcome any contribution.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Indeed I would, James. If anyone has something they'd like to contribute, please drop me a PM!
Paul

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Just a quick FYI that, with David's agreement, Classic Plastic is going bi-monthly. I have less time to get material done for the column, and have other projects I am working on; I feel that going alternate months will help strengthen the column. This doesn't mean that I don't welcome contributions - on the contrary, the more the merrier! Please drop me a PM if you feel you have something you'd like to contribute.
Paul

Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

Do conversions using CBKs as a basis count? especially if the end result bears little resemblance to the original kit?
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Absolutely - what counts is the provenance of the base kit. Incidentally, they don't have to be classic British kits - any maker will work.
Paul

fredk

Post by fredk »

PaulBradley wrote:Absolutely - what counts is the provenance of the base kit. Incidentally, they don't have to be classic British kits - any maker will work.
Now he tells me, :roll: :lol:
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.

Return to “Classic British Chat”