Re: Man Caves

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Show us where you work and create your masterpieces ( or just hide from the world ) .

(This is also posted up at the start of my workbench thread. http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=241;)

"I'm off for a potter in my shed, love"

Purely metaphorical the shed is our small back room which I have all to myself :grin: We moved into the house 5 years ago, before which I lived in a pokey flat with poor light and not a lot of room to model, so I still get a buzz about having a whole room albeit small. Workbench, reference and display cabinets all occupy this space from which I can monitor the local cats digging up my garden.

Reference, not big on military history so focus in on modelling resources, many SAMs, Warpaints and a lot stuff on X-planes and prototypes :roll: I decided to have a policy of not keeping whole mags just for one article and so these are cut out and stored in binders.

Two cabinets from Argos will probably be full by the end of next year so what then, stock rotation?

Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nicely organised Man Caves gents, I'm impressed. So that's how you get them all in Bruce, remarkable organisation. I'll post some pics of my disorganised Man Hovel to give a contrast at some point (Mrs W would be mortified if she knew, so let's keep it between us eh? :grin: )
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I got bored masking up the windows on my Bonanza so I thought I'd give you a quick tour of my mancave. Coming into the entrance as you can see the first thing to fall over is the hardtop from my car (a 2001 MGF VVC for any carophiles). This only goes onto the car for a few weeks in winter and will shortly be moving to the garage in its storage bag as I've had a clear up in there. The top of the tub you can see at the bottom of this pic is an old sweet container that is full of plastic and brass rod etc.

The roof is leaning on fitted wardrobes that were in there when we bought the house back in 2001. The left hand side lower cuboard is full of central heating tank and above it is mainly my old junk. In the right upper is most of my stash as you can see further below. There are also boxes behind. The lower cupboard has my bass gear and instruments.

Moving around the room, the next bunch of stuff to fall over is my practice amp and my Laney valve guitar amp (needs fixing) together with foot pumps (only the yellow one works!), cable reel (gets used for garden tools and amplifiers) an old light of Mrs W's (no I don't know why it's there either) and some bits from my parent's house which was sold last year following the death of my mother in 2010 (the old boy went in 2002). Then on to my Ikea cabinets that I assembled and fitted in about 2005. A bit more stash lives in the top left cabinet and a bit more in the lower right. As you can see, models reside on the rest of the outer cabinet shelves, grouped roughly by scale. The left hand cabinet has mostly AFV's and some really old junk that should go. Books, old guitar effects pedals and other sundry junk fills the centre (there is no Rescue Launch in the box BTW, just some of my spare parts stash).

And finally coming full circle, we get to the bench. I could say something like "this is where the magic happens" but I can't...because it doesn't :grin:

I've gotta have a tidy up, not shown is the rubbish down the far side of the bench which means I can't open the right hand Ikea cabinet without moving stuff first.

IPMS#12300
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Now I know who to consult for de-cluttering advice :grin: It helps to have fresh eyes on the situation as I usually go in there and turn my back to it all, so I'll have a look at what you've suggested. One thing though, why take decals out of the boxes for loft storage? the potential for damp or is it to do with yellowing?

IPMS#12300
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

ShaunW wrote:One thing though, why take decals out of the boxes for loft storage? the potential for damp or is it to do with yellowing?
It's probably a hangover from my Olden Days, when lofts were prone to leaks and damp and rodents and wasps and lions and tigers and bears...oh my!
Plastic is fairly resilient to environmental changes, less so decals. As a consequence, all my decal sheets are kept safe and sound, out of the loft.

Regards,
Bruce
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

It's also nice have the instructions and decals to hand rather than having to go ferreting in the loft for them.
Asoka
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Asoka »

MerlinJones wrote:
ShaunW wrote:One thing though, why take decals out of the boxes for loft storage? the potential for damp or is it to do with yellowing?
It's probably a hangover from my Olden Days, when lofts were prone to leaks and damp and rodents and wasps and lions and tigers and bears...oh my!
Plastic is fairly resilient to environmental changes, less so decals. As a consequence, all my decal sheets are kept safe and sound, out of the loft.

Regards,
Bruce
I guess this explains the large amount of kits on ebay being sold minus the decals... after the owner pops off, the stash is sold less the 'safe' decals! :-D
I seal the decals in a poly bag and keep in the kit, otherwise the humidity mucks them up...another joy of living in the tropics... :roll:

Cheers,

Asoka
Skill, Patience and Humbrol, with a hairy stick!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Thanks for those tips. I don't know about loft storage in this house though. Unlike our last house, the loft isn't boarded out and therefore kits would have to rest directly on the loft insulation material and, of course, I have to be careful when moving around up there to stay on the joists, it's all too easy to put a foot straight through the ceiling. I think, on balance, it will be easier to chuck out some of the junk in the upper left wardrobe cupboard. My stash is quite small really at around 50 kits or so.

Asoka - here in Blighty we are supposed to live in a temperate country weather wise but with all the rain we are having this "summer" it's more like the monsoon season!

IPMS#12300
malepo
Active Participant

Post by malepo »

well I guess I've posted some pics on the old forum before the move and then my cave develped since, so here are mine

the right side - the construction side

in the drawers below the table are tools and glues and filler, sand paper and alike
in the big white drawers to the right are masking tape and all the paint

the left side - the spray both

in the drawers below are parts, dio material and filters, pastels, pigments (fltr)

the stash

the image table

the shelfs

and some overall shots of my complete cave

Cheers
Martin
Stevekir
Getting well comfy!

Post by Stevekir »

Beginner here. The Man Caves are deeply impressive, but the only one to show a spray booth is malepo's. How do the rest of you avoid being poisoned?
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I wear a respirator and work with the window open.

£60 quid spray booths at Telford were tempting but I'd need to rethink my room.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

This is the lancfan cave, in the top view near the window is the reading desk, filing cabinet and a set of drawers for storage, moving around is the computer desk and beyond that is the photo table. the lower picture shows the workbenches along one wall and in the middle of the room in both pictures is the book case. The boxes on top of this hold the modest stash.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Nice place to go, David.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Well, as you asked..... :ha:

I have the fourth bedroom of the house; roughly 10' by 10' with built-in bookshelves on the southern, window wall and a built-in closet on the east wall.

Coming in the door, you are greeted with this view:

The workbench to the right, the table with my tool box in the middle and a spray booth on the left. To the right of my bench is a bookcase. You can also see the built-ins to the left of the spray booth - these contain many my British/Raf books. On top of the spray booth is my "shelf of shame..." :oops:

To the left of the spray booth is also the window, where there is a vent to the outside. There are built-ins under and to the left of the window as well. You can see the closet on the east wall - that's my main stash store, along with a bunch of other junk. That's my other bookcase to the left of the closet.

Above the spray booth/tool box are my 1/72 models. Mostly British stuff. Those of you who have been around here for a while will recognise a lot of the builds!

A close-up of my rather messy workbench area - and that's after a 6 month break.... :shock:

Just outside my den is another closet - this is my other stash site:

Finally, my custom-built display cabinet for my 1/48 RAF fighters with a few 1/72 builds on the bottom shelf:

Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
kruaxi
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by kruaxi »

Amazing ambient
Salute e Latinum per tutti !

Return to “Workbench Window”