Telford 2012: The AOC's report

Where CC SIG might be and info about CC-related events

Moderator: JohnRatzenberger

TomW
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Telford 2012: The AOC's report

Post by TomW »

As I sit here typing this it is a cold, wet and dreary Monday morning and the events of the last three days already feel like a lifetime ago :sad: but I shall endeavor to give as accurate a report as I can for those of you who were unable to attend.

I very nearly was required to miss the show myself at the last minute after contracting a rather unpleasant chest infection last monday that left me doubled over with coughing fits at the least provocation, I gave the impression of a man with a 40-a-day habit :shock:. Luckily I awoke on the Friday feeling well enough (with copious medication) to pack the car and begin the first stage of a 320 mile round trip. A mere 3 hours later I pulled into the International centre car-park, was issued my wristband - a superb idea from the IPMS that saves much time and hassle incidently - and got on with finding our tables.

We had a good location this year being near both the full-sized exhibits, the toilets and the catering outlets which helped to provide us with good foot-fall, especially of people running from the catering to the toilets :ha: The set-up took a few hours mostly due to other models arriving from different sources at different times but this is how we lined up for the off:

Having the CBK display next door was a definite asset as it slowed the general public and enthusiasts alike down to a crawl which spilled over to the Coastal Command SiG and gave me ample opportunity to bore the hind legs off of anyone unfortunate to listen :lol:

We did attract plenty of attention over the weekend with several ex-servicemen stopping to regale with anecdotes of times spent with the Command; and family members of servicemen who took delight in seeing their relatives unusual aircraft recreated in model form.
There were several offers from other clubs and show organisers for table space at next years shows and I hope to take a display to both the Cosford show and Yeovilton next year.

Sunday saw a late arrival courtesy of Mike Thompson of IPMS Shropshire who kindly brought his Neptune MR.1 to complete the post-war line up:

And I hope that we may appear in photo form on other sites as there was considerable photography going on of several models:

I must extend my hearty thanks to John Thornthwaite and also the CBK team who covered the display whilst I was completing my IPMS volunteer duties and off on the shopping trips/ food runs/ toilet breaks, their help was invaluable and the support will deserve a pint or two at our next meeting! Thanks also are due again to John and to Bruce Leyland-Jones who provided the bulk of the display models, Thanks Chaps!!

As a final aside the weekend was brightened by an Irish fellow who was enthralled by Bruces' Frog Lifeboat and after I had helped as much as possible with the manufacturer and where he might be able to locate one did re-appear on the Sunday afternoon to share a bottle of Jamesons whiskey as a thankyou :-D

Here's to next year!

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Re: Telford 2012: The AOC's report

Post by bluesteel »

Well done indeed Tom, and thanks to all those involved, it looks like a super CC Display. You were really thrown in the deep end there Tom, and you've done the CC SIG proud. I really hope I'll be back in action next year and be able to contribute and help man the stand once more.

Well done again!
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Great stuff, Tom...well done.
It's great to know that, in future, you are quite capable of being wholly abandoned whilst the rest of us enjoy the show! :mrgeen:

What did you use in the end for those splendid cloths?

I take it that you had enough toys to play with?

For future notice, I suppose we could do some little cards to be available to display with the models, stating stuff like subject, Squadron, etc.. That said, I'm guessing that those interested asked?

Regards,
Bruce
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Well done, Tom!

Bruce's idea of model name cards is a good one and I'd be happy to put those together if I'm given the relevant details.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

I did something similar with last years display if you remember, with texts under some of the models explaining what the model represented and what kit it was. Comments I had were favourable: http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=2238

If it weren't for my recent family difficulties I would have got further with the CC SIG database of models available with descriptions. Hopefully I'll be able to make a start on that soon if everyone still thinks it's a good idea. If I have a descriptions section on the document (probably a spreadsheet) then Paul could use that to draw info for the cards.

The other alternative would be just to put small numbers in fro of the models, then have descriptions in a CC SIG leaflet and/or a larger piece of paper/card attached to the stand for all to read. This prevents people having to lean over the models in the front ranks to read the rear models texts.
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

People leaning is over is A Good Thing, as it shows definite interest and serves as a prompt for Tom to talk to the interested party.
Leaflets run out.
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

MerlinJones wrote:People leaning is over is A Good Thing, as it shows definite interest and serves as a prompt for Tom to talk to the interested party.
Leaflets run out.
Yes, as long as when they lean back again they don't take a model with them crashing to the floor -as nearly happened last year :shock:

But yes you are right, it does show an interest, and a cue for conversation.
Bluesteel

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

People leaning over is a Good Thing, as long as their pet cameras don't swing on their leashes....
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
TomW
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TomW »

Thank you gentlemen :grin: it was a challenge to pull everything together but we got there in the end! Just to answer a few points that you've all raised:

1. A database will definitely be A Good Thing and Julian I would be delighted for you to continue this when things are more settled.

2. Datacards for the models would also be A Good Thing, I had meant to produce a few A4 sheets last week but being laid low with illness put these on the back-burner.

3. Leaving me on my own at future shows will be perfectly acceptable, however it will also be remembered and suitable bribes will be required ;-)

4. A large and pointy stick will be necessary at future shows to stop unruly children and those with dangly camera's, there were a couple of :shock: :evil: moments but no damage fortunately.

I can't wait to get out and about on the show circuit next year, it might be an idea to get situated next to the Bomber and Fighter Command SiGs at shows where the CBk'ers aren't in attendance as was suggested by a couple of the IPMS EC members.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I thought it was a great display Tom and, although I'm certainly no expert in Coastal Command subjects, the white/camo scheme looks great on large aircraft.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “CC Displays and Events”