mmD's Roden Albatros D 1

What did your Secret Santa send you this Christmas? Have you been naughty or nice? Did you get a Trumpeter 1/48 Lump of Coal, or a nice old Airfix classic? Your builds should be chronicled here, starting Decmber 25th (ho, ho, ho!) and lasting through January 31st. Admins: Brickie and Paul Bradley
mightymikeD
…can't ever get enough Spitfires

Re: mmD's Roden Albatros D 1

Post by mightymikeD »

Right-ho...

For All You Young Model-Makers Out There *: Roden decals need to be handled with care: had the edges break off on two of the wing decals (gone on the underside: I'll repair with paint when dry). They seem to dry out quite quickly and required re-wetting with a soft brush to get them into position.

Struts and cabanes have been tested for fit on upper wing: spot on. Just got the radiators and exhaust to add and we're GO for rigging!

Time to fix a cuppa, methinks..Anyone else fancy a brew?

* Apolgies for Eddie Olcyzk reference that approx: 98% of people here won't get
:razz:
Let's Go Hawks!/Allons 'Awks!
A:B=24:28
mightymikeD

Post by mightymikeD »

I've had to put this model down for the evening and walk away from it.

Rigging was going OK (ish) however, the nice stretchy thread I'm using may be a bit too strong: I've got struts bending, wings popping off and general mayhem. Taking a deep breath and backing away. remedial work to follow, another day.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

mightymikeD wrote:Time to fix a cuppa, methinks..Anyone else fancy a brew?
It's always time for a brew! :)

The secret with the stretchy thread is not to overdo it, stretch it just enough to make the thread taut, but not so much that it pulls the model apart.

Been there, done that, trashed the model... :roll:

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

What sort of thread are you using?!? :shock: Grany's Knicker 'Lastic? Bends whale bones, that does!
Andrew makes a valid (and valuable) point, though. I used to be really tight with the thread, using all of the little off-cuts and stretching them way beyond common sense. I found that the thread would split before the glue gave way, but split it did.

Regards,
Bruce
mightymikeD

Post by mightymikeD »

I'm using this fine bead-craft stuff that I picked up in Chinatown. It's probably just a little too robust for the model when it contracts (it stretches very easily and I didn't have to apply much force to get it out there.
I've cleaned up the damage and its not so bad. Some unsightly, ZK-hardened blobs of CA to deal with but that's for another day
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Such blobs easily chip/peel off. I really don't like the sound of that thread. P'raps you could ask someone if they're going to the Huddersfield Show in February, if they could acquire some of the proper stuff.
Be a reet shame to spoil your biplane renaissance with cacky thread.

Regards,
Bruce
ara398
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by ara398 »

That's a shame - a great job thus far.

As Bruce suggests, a replacement thread may be the go. The stuff I've used for 1/72 is still good after 15 years. I'm not sure what it's called where you are, but here in my part of Oz its known as "knitting in elastic" and comes in clear and grey (forget the grey, it has grey cotton (furry) threaded through it to give the colour!). It should be available from any large haberdashery/sewing store.

Regards,
Adrian
mightymikeD

Post by mightymikeD »

Right.. haven't given up on this, by the way..

My local (ish) haberdashery stocks "Knitting In Elastic", however they're out of stock but should have more early next week.
So it's on hold for a few days.

Return to “Secret Santa Group Build”