1/72 Airfix Hurricane Mk1 and Spitfire Mk1 double build!

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Re: 1/72 Airfix Hurricane Mk1 and Spitfire Mk1 double build!

Post by Softscience »

In this case you get what you pay for. Vallejo paint is some of the best and easiest to use on the market. Its versatile enough to do pretty much anything, including opaque feathering that can be done without an airbrush.

The primers are not expensive, and come in many colors, so they too can double as top coats, should you wish.
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by rob_van_riel »

Softscience wrote:In this case you get what you pay for. Vallejo paint is some of the best and easiest to use on the market. Its versatile enough to do pretty much anything, including opaque feathering that can be done without an airbrush.

The primers are not expensive, and come in many colors, so they too can double as top coats, should you wish.
I don't doubt the quality of these, and to be honest, I could get over the price difference (if indeed there is any, in case of the primers). It's the inconvenience of these 'closed systems' that puts me off. The LHS is never open at the times when I'm most likely to run out of something..
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

I use Vallejo all of the time and as said priming is essential but it isn't necessary to use theirs though. When spraying aluminium or silver I always spray black on first as it gives a better deeper finish to the top coat.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
bigfiver69
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by bigfiver69 »

Good advice, gents.

I've stripped the Vallejo off the hurricanes, and am going with a thin coat of Fine Tamiya primer (grey) and then Tamiya Titanium, which also give a nice vibe.

I will get some Vallejo primer, though, and use the Vallejo aluminum on my upcoming Gloster Gladiator build.

Hopefully more pics in the coming days. I was hoping the holidays would see me a the desk more, but it's so busy!

Happy holidays to you all!
Shep
Currently on the bench: Airfix Gladiator and AModel Fury.
bigfiver69

Post by bigfiver69 »

So, I stripped the Hurricane and the Spitfire. Because of the discolouration it caused, I decided to prime them with some Tamiya fine grey primer.

It was suggested that I try the Tamiya Titanium Silver, which I was told gives a nice metallic finish without the 'glow' usually associated with silver or aluminum - and that might make it closer to the doped fabric/paint finish of the RAF aircraft of this period.

Overall, I was pretty happy. Letting this have some time to harden, and them on to the camoflage.

bigfiver69

Post by bigfiver69 »

Okay, back on track!!

After re-finishing the metal, I got the Polly Scale RAF Dark Earth on, and gave it a little pre-shade.

Then, got the camo masked for the Dark Green...

And then, gave them a shot of gloss, got the decals on, and then a shot or satin to mellow everything out. I used Alclad gloss for the first time and i was really impressed - very smooth glossy finish (but not too slick) and the decals loved it.

Decals for the Hurricane are from the new Xtradecal sheet, which are just spectacular decals... perfectly clear and very thin and they took the Solvaset very well. Decals for the Spitfiew were largely from the spares drawer. The yellow looks super bright in the photos, but that's just the lighting. I'll get some better, more neutrally-lit shots when they are all done. For the matt finish, I used Vallejo Satin varnish, which I thinned with Testor's universal acrylic thinner. Worked a treat...

I'm going to let these sit for a couple of days before I add the exhaust and gun-fire weathering, and attach the props and aerials. Thanks for looking in!!

Shep
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Nice!
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

rob_van_riel wrote:
Softscience wrote:You MUST use their primer. Then the paints behave wonderfully. But no primer no stick. Even other primers don't work.bhas to be their proprietary primer
Hmmmm... maybe I'm a bit of an extremist about these things, but "proprietory primer or thinner" equals "no sale" in my book. This sort of stuff needs to be available cheaply and just about anywhere, not expensive and LHS only.
I agree with you, but I have found that paint works well with all primers not just their own.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Both are looking very tidy!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Those are really nice. Subtle weathering and great camo work.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

A great looking duo.

Nigel
bigfiver69

Post by bigfiver69 »

Okay - all done!

They sure make a pretty pair. This is my second build of the Spitfire kit, and it won't be my last. I think I'll build a couple of Battle of Britain versions this summer. As for the Hurricane, it's a great kit. It does provide a few challenges, particularly around how the wings mate to the fuselage, but it is really a gorgeous kit straight out of the box. All we can hope is that Airfix give us a metal wing version very soon. Here are some pics... thanks for looking in!

Shep

DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Very nice! I've never built a Spit or Hurricane in pre-war markings before, so might have to give it a go.

I thought Airfix had released a metal-winged Hurricane, though? Or did I imagine that? :???:
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
Stevehnz
Active Participant

Post by Stevehnz »

I like those Shep, a lot. That is a attractive time in RAF markings, the camo top/aluminium underside is so much nice than the soon to follow & utterly daft black/white undersides to my mind. Where did you get the underwing serials on the Hurricane from, I'm keen to emulate your efforts with these at some stage?
Steve.
bigfiver69

Post by bigfiver69 »

Thanks guys!

The Hurricane markings are from the outstanding Xtradecal set for 1/72 rag wing Hurricanes. Can't say enough about how nice that set it - makes me want to build 5 of these kits!

Shep

Return to “Aviation Modelling”