2015 Display General Chat Thread

Kitmaster, Airfix and Dapol railway model kits

Moderator: JamesPerrin

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: 2015 Display General Chat Thread

Post by PaulBradley »

Cool. Means that I don't need to worry about having missed out on a cheap one on e-bay.... ;-)
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Just a quick thought, would it be a good idea to have a finished kits gallery so we know what has been completed?

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

splash wrote:Just a quick thought, would it be a good idea to have a finished kits gallery so we know what has been completed?

Regards Splash
Yes, I think this is a good idea Splash. A straight up gallery of finished builds, say a couple of pics of each (if desired there could be more than one subject in the photos, for example a loco and coaches), with a brief title/description of the subject by the builder (something along the lines of what the subject is, kit manufacturer etc, you all probably know what I mean) and no "great job" comments from other members to clutter it up. Unless there are any staunch objections, I'll set it up as a sticky when I get back from holiday in a couple of weeks. There might be a few more finished builds to go in by then. My own included :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by chrism »

Not sure if I ought to make an offer like this as one worries as to just what will then raise its head ... but in the spirit of community assistance and as all the bits I have bought or repaired etc are now done, if there is anything else that anyone has that they are panicking with, and that needs dealing with ... I could offer to assist if it gets delivered to me... as I possibly may have a bit of time to assist during second half of September and a weekend/few evenings in October. (I definitely don't want trains or engines though)
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

chrism wrote:Not sure if I ought to make an offer like this as one worries as to just what will then raise its head ... but in the spirit of community assistance and as all the bits I have bought or repaired etc are now done, if there is anything else that anyone has that they are panicking with, and that needs dealing with ... I could offer to assist if it gets delivered to me... as I possibly may have a bit of time to assist during second half of September and a weekend/few evenings in October. (I definitely don't want trains or engines though)
Do you fancy building a dockside crane?
chrism

Post by chrism »

splash wrote: Do you fancy building a dockside crane?
Has the Chief Stationmaster spoken on the matter yet? Do we definitely need two? Guess I could have a go if needed.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

No reply yet is he on holiday?
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

splash wrote:No reply yet is he on holiday?
No, sorry guys, I've just been suffering a complete lack of Mojo mainly because I've got next to nowhere to do any modelling at the moment which prompted my wife - who was sick of me moping about - to let me buy a new 10x8ft shed/workshop. That has taken up a huge amount of my spare time as I had to completely remove the greenhouse and existing shed - dispose of the acres of crap that both contained, and the structures themselves, then level the ground, remove concrete footings, blah, blah, blah...

Here is where I am at at the moment:

I have next week off work to complete it and move in then I CAN START MODELLING AGAIN - with the SMW display as a priority obviously.

Dockside crane wise, two would be nice, but only if you want to build them, don't put yourselves out especially. Once I have the baseboards completed I may start doing paper bases cut to the size of all the pledged structures and rolling stock to see what kind of space will be taken up and be better able to assess any last minute building requirements. I've got the station platforms in hand but could still do with an Airfix booking office if anyone has one.

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Not for the display (it's mine all mine) but I have finally, after 5 years, managed to acquire:

And from Over There and only 7pd postage.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
beany

Post by beany »

jRatz wrote:Not for the display (it's mine all mine) but I have finally, after 5 years, managed to acquire:

And from Over There and only 7pd postage.
Very nice John - I look forward to seeing that one built. I have her sister living just a few miles up the road from me...

Cheers
Al.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Al, that shade of kreosote is to light :ha:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Ratch wrote:Al, that shade of kreosote is to light :ha:
Is that not scale effect?

The detail is good what scale is it? :ha:
beany

Post by beany »

Normally I would go for the cheapest, nastiest council/trade slops going, but B&Q had a pretty good offer on Ronseal, so I went for that. Couldn't get in Southern Railways Malashite(sic) Green so had to settle for Golden Harvest instead (nearly said something else then... :oops: ).

This shed may yet be the epicentre for the OO gauge garden layout I have been planning for about forty years or more, but never had the space or spondulics to see it come to fruition - so - a JBO to Beany's house next year when it is ready to commission??! - the Formula One Museum and Donington Aerorpark/East Mids Airport viewing hump are also very close by for those who are underwhelmed by railways :ha:
TomW

Post by TomW »

beany wrote:Normally I would go for the cheapest, nastiest council/trade slops going, but B&Q had a pretty good offer on Ronseal, so I went for that. Couldn't get in Southern Railways Malashite(sic) Green so had to settle for Golden Harvest instead (nearly said something else then... :oops: ).

This shed may yet be the epicentre for the OO gauge garden layout I have been planning for about forty years or more, but never had the space or spondulics to see it come to fruition - so - a JBO to Beany's house next year when it is ready to commission??! - the Formula One Museum and Donington Aerorpark/East Mids Airport viewing hump are also very close by for those who are underwhelmed by railways :ha:

Sounds good to me Al, count me in ;-)

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
chrism

Post by chrism »

beany wrote:
splash wrote:No reply yet is he on holiday?
Dockside crane wise, two would be nice, but only if you want to build them, don't put yourselves out especially.......(edit)....... but could still do with an Airfix booking office if anyone has one.

Cheers
Al.
That gives me both a "get out of doing it" card for a crane... but with a little "but to" for doing it.
I'm not sure just how big it is, but it looks BIG, and awkward to move; and as I haven't got a lot of spare room in my little car for much at this late stage, as I have now committed and got a lot of stuff provisioned out for different sigs etc to bring up already. I guess I ought to ask just how big it is... before I shirk out totally. Anything that can fit in a small box/boxes I know I would be Ok with

Return to “SMW 2015 - Going loco”