Info needed: wing markings for Jamaican BN-2 Islander

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
philp
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Info needed: wing markings for Jamaican BN-2 Islander

Post by philp »

Help.

I am building this as part of the Lesser Air Forces GB over at Britmodeller but the pics I can find online don't give me any details about the wings.

Trying to find out if they carried the roundels in all 4 positions and/or if the serial (JDFT-2) was also carried on the wings. Lots of pics of their helicopters and the new trainers but only side shots of the Islander so far.

Have seen what looks like 2 upper wing roundels and serials on the top of one of their first Cessna's and a later Cessna seems to only show a roundel on the right wing.

Has anyone every seen one of their aircraft fly over and noticed the markings or can find any pics?

Thanks in advance.
DavidWomby

Re: Info needed: wing markings for Jamaican BN-2 Islander

Post by DavidWomby »

Do any of these help. See page 10 and 18 of this.:

http://www.jdfmil.org/info/publications ... r_40th.pdf

Page 41 and 44 of this and page 51 which I think shows nothing on top of either wing (definitely nothing on top of port wing):

http://www.jdfmil.org/info/publications ... dition.pdf

David
Nigel Foster
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by Nigel Foster »

On the subject of building Islanders, does anyone know the details, or know where I might find them to convert the Airfix Islander to a Turboprop as in the islanders used by the AAC and the RAF. I am really surprised no one has done a conversion kit.

Thanks in anticipation for any kind replies.

Nigel
philp

Post by philp »

David,
Those are great. It does look like nothing on the top wing though the serial could be on the port in black and a roundel on the starboard hidden by the tail. The other pic definitely shows a roundel under the starboard.

Also the open door gives some indication of interior look though nothing on colors.

Thanks.
philp

Post by philp »

Ok, I have reviewed these a bit more and the pic with the roundel under the starboard wing is reversed (can just make out the fuselage writing showing this) so that fits with roundels above starboard and below port. In which case it probably has the serial on the opposite sides.

At least that is how I shall proceed for now unless I get some new sources.

Any ideas on interior colors? The article said they just refinished the plane with new interior and rug. Airfix kit says khaki drill for the floor and lower walls with white upper walls and grass green seats. Door in the pic looks like one light shade with possibly green padding and maybe a black stripe halfway up.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

I wondered about that roundel on lower starboard wing but I didn't look closely enough to notice it was a reversed pic!! Well spotted.

I think you are probably right to assume a roundel on starboard upper. Pity the fin blocks the view in the only pic we found of the upper wing.

Sorry, I cannot help on identifying colours from pics. I am red/green colourblind. Don't laugh. It's true. I am a red/green colourblind modeller. It can make very frustrating especially when I need to make a colour choice from looking at a colour photograph!!!

David

Return to “Aviation Modelling”