Dazzled's Classic Carrier

Our 2nd sea-going GB, for any ship, any scale, etc. Does not include amphibious aircraft or vehicles - the medium is water.
Runs 6 weeks, 2 May - 13 Jun; your host is Dazzled. Extended to 28 June.
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Dazzled's Classic Carrier

Post by Dazzled »

My entry for the GB is a classic kit of a classic ship.

It's Heller's reboxing of the Airfix 1/600th scale USS Forrestal; the crowning glory of their 1/600th ship range.

It does, as you can see, come in a very large box. So large in fact that I had to put it on the stove to take pictures of it. Fortunately it wasn't turned on at the time ;-) . I built this kit when I was a nipper and I still have some of the aircraft and the instructions kicking about. Oddly the build sequence is different between the two manufacturers.

Also noteworthy is the fact that the Airfix box was about a third the size of the Heller one.

There's an awful lot of fresh air in there. I reckon Heller must have just had some spare boxes kicking about when they produced this :roll:

Anyhow, from the above pic you can see that there aren't that many parts considering the size of the kit. I do have, as I mentioned, extra aircraft, and they can be seen in the little plastic box on the lower right. I also acquired some 1/600th handrails from Tom's Modelworks to add a bit of detail. Apart from that, detail sets for this kit are a bit thin on the ground so I might well be looking to a bit of creative adaptation from some other detail sets I have. The air wing will need a little work too.

I'm rather looking forward to this 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Re: Dazzled's Classic Carrier

Post by Dazzled »

Sometimes life throws you curveballs. At other times it's a bowl of cherries. This week has definitely had more cherries in it than usual.

It started with me doing the company a "favour" 4 weeks ago. I volunteered to go on a "Continuous Improvement Workshop". I'd flatly refused previously as, although I have a foundation degree in business design, I was unimpressed with the consultancy firm running it. This one was the first one run exclusively by B.A. and they were desperate for some credibility so I agreed to help out.

In actual fact, I really wanted to work days, rather than my normal shift, for that particular 2 weeks so that I could be home in the evenings for my Open University group work, and this would give me the opportunity. Even better, it transpired that, after the final day, I would get 5 days off straight. This allowed me to complete the big post-group assignment and catch up with all the course work. Now I'm a week ahead 8-) .

If that wasn't good enough, it also transpired, after I enquired, that I was now entitled to some further time off. My shift manager, wonderful guy, had made a bit of a faux pas with this and there was something of a kerfuffle about it. So he asked me, as a favour, to have this weekend off and to keep quiet about things. My work chum, who also attended the workshop, also got this favour because I made the enquiry. I could have insisted on picking my own dates but I thought "why rock the boat" (topical, eh ;-) ). So, I have an unexpected couple of days off, the company love me (they put my picture on a poster :shock: ), my manager is chuffed and owes me a favour and my mate thinks I'm great because I got him the bank holiday weekend off work.

And I only did it in the first place to suit myself. :lol:

So, what does one do with a couple of unexpected free days?

One models, naturally.

So, after running a couple of not onerous errands this morning that involved visiting the heritage railway to renew my membership and catch up with some old friends followed by taking my son around a couple of motorcycle shops to help find him his first steed (he passed his CBT yesterday 8-) ) and catch up with some friends in said shops, it was time for the bench.

Actually, I started late last night, at the dot of midnight, by getting the initial hull assembly done.

Not too much of a trying exercise. The hull goes together fairly easily front and back and there are a pair of lugs underneath to attach the hull bottom. As these are split they provided good anchor points for clamps. The bottom is a bit tricky to align so some plasticard strips helped reinforce things, Zap-a-Gap cyano glue sped things along nicely. Some cleaning up was needed, but this is a classic kit after all so nothing unexpected :) .

With the hull fully set, I returned to the bench at lunchtime. First thing I did was to check the fit of the flight deck to the hull and, I have to say, I was very impressed. The deck pops down very positively and sits perfectly flush with the hull. It was so good that I've decided to build the hull and flight deck separately and to join them together quite late in the build. This should make painting and detailing easier.....I hope.

With this in mind, assembly continued. Sub-assemblies for the sponsons and island were next.

These were assembled with Liquid Poly and clamped up. They'll be left overnight. I also did the turrets and the crane in readiness. I decided to treat the crane as an extra turret although, looking at it, I think there's quite a bit of scope for some extra detail on the crane. Back to the Internet, I think. :)

There's not much to do to the flight deck initially.

Just a couple of panels representing structure to add on.

The hull had some more additions too.

The hangar openings were attached and the big support sponsons to support the port flight deck overhang and the control island. These posed the worst fit issues so far, needing Zap-a-gap and filler. They're just not the same profile as the sides of the hull. More sanding and blending will be required.

Finally, I began cutting away moulded in detail (already :roll: ) in readiness for some etched brass.

This is the stern deck (possibly a poop deck?) with the really thick moulded handrail detail.

A quick squirt with the old razor saw and some wet and dry paper had this removed and the edge restored. This had the added advantage of taking out a couple of ejector pin marks too :) .

There's more bits like this....

These particular parts will be a bit awkward but nothing I can't overcome. I will, however, have to box the back in. Don't want people thinking the US Navy used to operate hollow aircraft carriers just to fool the USSR ;-) .

All in all, I'm quite satisfied with today :grin:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
TomW

Post by TomW »

Wow and there was me thinking I was making good progress for the first day :shock: Great start Darryl, the Forrestal was one of the Airfix 1/600th line I never got my hands on back in my shipbuilding days so I'm looking forward to seeing what you make of her.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Great start, and with everything going your way, buy yourself a lottery ticket :grin:

Nigel
Marek

Post by Marek »

I wish they would be so quick building the current carriers for RN! Good speed, if u continue like that, I'mm have to send you another one in ten days :)
jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

Looking good so far-and nice one on getting the time. There's nothing wrong with enlightened self-interest, especially when it get you a few days off!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I've managed a little more bench time, largely taken up by plugging away at clean-up and assembly tasks. Not exciting but a necessity if I want a good finish.

First the sponsons took a bit of time to get right. Only one in four of them fits properly. The other three took a fair bit of tweaking and fettling so they'd sit flush with the hull. This preparatory work should, however, allow me to do some painting prior to attachment reducing the need for masking....I hope :roll: .

I while I was fiddling with the sponsons I did something else. Spot the difference.

Yep, I've whipped off the handrails. It took a while with razor saw, scalpel and file, but it'll ultimately be worth it when the etched rails go on.

Speaking of handrails...

I took them out of the stern openings too.

Finally, and just a few minutes ago, I had another go at the seams around the big deck/island supporting sponsons.

Two attempts with Vallejo Plastic Putty convinced me that it wasn't quite up to the job. It kept falling back out when I tried to tidy up the seams. So I've just applied some Mr Surfacer 500. When it's dried I'll carefully rub it back with a cotton bud soaked in isopropyl alcohol. It takes a little time but it's a reliable method, usually!
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

TomW

Post by TomW »

All the extra effort will pay off handsomely in the end Darryl, good work.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Marek

Post by Marek »

Darryl, do you have a dedicated PE for it or just rails from Tom's? I am not aware of any dedicated set but imagine it would really spruce it up. Great work so far.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Just the rails from Tom's I'm afraid. As much as I tried I couldn't find a dedicated set for the Forrestal. I do, however have the 1/600 modern RN sets from White Ensign and some left over etch from other projects so there is hope that other bits can be adapted if necessary.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

Everything looks pretty tidy so far.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Some more progress on the Forrestal, though nothing exciting, I'm afraid. Just more rounds of chopping, sanding and fettling.

On the bright side, I'm finally getting the fit of the big hull sponsons sorted out.

It's almost there. The white marks are just smears of Vallejo putty to cover up a bubble and a couple of scratches thrown into sharp relief by a coat of Halfords grey primer. They look to be the last thing to deal with.

I've progressed the island as well.

It's coming together slowly. I thinned down the side rail on the side catwalk when I realised that in scale it would be about 2 feet thick! It was a bit fiddly but it does look better, I think.

Otherwise it was more handrails and "sticky-outy bits" that attach to the hull.

These also got, where appropriate, their decks added to them. However there was something of a surprise.

The two identical wing decks that fit in between the inverted relief openings on the port side (parts 43 and 44) don't have decks at all. Maybe Airfix figured that they weren't visible enough to bother with. Perhaps with solid handrails it wouldn't have been too noticeable but, particularly as I'm replacing all the handrails with etched brass, I couldn't let it go, so it was out with the plasticard and Squadron green putty.

And after a relaxing(ish) period at the bench this is the pile of bits I have prepared for the deck paint to be applied.

And this is the other pile....

....of handrails I've sawn off.

I think that's all of them :roll:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Stevehnz
Active Participant

Post by Stevehnz »

Wow, this will be one to watch, I had absolutely no Idea that Airfix ever did this, it must have been during my getting a real job/raising family phase. :) I'd have been as keen as mustard on one otherwise. I bet they don't come cheap now.:(
Steve.
TomW

Post by TomW »

A quick ebay scan shows just the one (Heller issue like Darryls) for £19.99 plus the postage cost, so yes not the cheapest of the 1/600th range to get hold of :???:

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I saw that one too Tom. £19.99 is at the cheap end for one of these so well worth snapping up.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Return to “Nautical GB II”