Seaking HC4 ***Finished***

This is a historical subject GB for any kit, any scale, any variant, any markings of a participant in the Desert Storm campaign, 17 January to 28 February 1991.
Runs 30 January through 28 February and your host is dwomby.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Seaking HC4 ***Finished***

Post by splash »

I had planned to build a ZSU 23-4 but due to limited build time, due to my workbench being in an un-heated conservatory, i have had a change of plan and will now build the new Airfix HC4.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
philp
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Seaking HC4

Post by philp »

Still waiting for someone to do a nice injected 72nd Zoo. Looks like a new kit in 35th is coming this year.

The new Seaking looks nice.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Great choice, Splash.

David
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Chasing up research for this build has brought back memories, I was involved in the First Gulf War working in the back of an RAF Bedford MK Box Body Command post, helping task the RN/RAF helicopter forces.

I have a selection of different Squadrons and Colours to choose in plain Green or Sand or Sand with Black & White invasion stripes.

I suspect I will stick with my old 846 Squadron in plain Sand (I don't think they used the invasion stripes but a bit more research will sort that out), the good thing is the a/c started out with a fresh coat of paint when they left Yeovilton but by the time the war was over they looked filthy covered in oil stains and soot from the engines, so plenty of scope for over the top weathering.
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

Looking forward to seeing you do your magic on another chopper Splash.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Molly-new wrote:Looking forward to seeing you do your magic on another chopper Splash.
I wondered how long it would take before the innuendoes stated :ha: :ha: :ha:
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Alan, do you have the book Sea King by Patrick Allen? Lots of useful photos in there of 4s in the Gulf.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

PaulBradley wrote:Alan, do you have the book Sea King by Patrick Allen? Lots of useful photos in there of 4s in the Gulf.
I think I have it somewhere :roll: Patrick is a nice chap, he used to be a regular visitor to the squadrons with his camera and note book, right back in the good old Wessex and Seaking days.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Looks a sweet kit. Have fun with it. How many Sea Kings have you built previously?

David
chrism

Post by chrism »

will you be motorising it. If you do, do they offer any ideas for losing the wiring? I can see they supply a cage to encase their motor kit into. Is there then some guidance on where to fix that internally?
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

dwomby wrote:Looks a sweet kit. Have fun with it. How many Sea Kings have you built previously?

David
I have built quite a few over the years, mostly the old Airfix version but my current favourite Seaking kit is the recent Revell kit that looks right has excellent detail and is still cheap, so it will be a good chance to compare the two.
chrism wrote:will you be motorising it. If you do, do they offer any ideas for losing the wiring? I can see they supply a cage to encase their motor kit into. Is there then some guidance on where to fix that internally?
No plan to stick a motor in it, but they do supply the parts and instructions on what needs to be removed and how to fit the motor.
MDT

Post by MDT »

Nice choice! This looks a really nice kit again by Airfix. I've only ever built the old Airfix one and this looks on another league. Looking forward to see how this turns out.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I have started by spraying all the internal parts Dark Sea Grey and spotted that part F11 the rear troop step has been short shot :twisted: a quick check on my other two boxes in my stash shows it's a one-off, so it means a quick email to the Airfix Support Team to get a replacement.

So far the detail in this kit looks as good as the Revell kit, if not slightly better.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

As a full qualified Seaking rivet counter I'm having problems finding any major faults with this kit. :-D

Whilst the interior is not 100% accurate it looks the part straight out of the box. For example Airfix have given you a nearly complete set of troop seats that have been only slightly simplified, the real seats are cloth stretched over a tube frame with the backrest attached to the top bar by two straps that just clip to the top bar, whilst this could be a simple but fiddly fix, I don't think it's worth the effort unless you are entering a competition.

However the two seats Airfix have fitted at the rear of the cabin are wrong, they are fitted to the RAF rescue version but not the Mk4.

As I'm planning on leaving the front door and step open I have had to remove the ejector pin mark you can see on the forward bulkhead.

The Mk4's had a tough life and the Marines/soldiers never remembered to wipe the feet befor entering the a/c in a war zone so the floor got heavily worn, so I have rubbed the black off using a glass fibre pen.

The cockpit has some nice touches like the seat supports, but is missing the cables that can be seen on the bulkhead behind the starboard pilots seat.

Overall the detail on the Airfix interior is much better than the Revell version.

Return to “Desert Storm 25th Anniversary”