Marky's Belizean Islander ***FINISHED***

Our 2nd "Lesser Represented Countries" GB with a slight change to allow any subject, not just aircraft. You must sign up for the specific country and there are no duplicates in this GB and a modeler cannot do the same country(s) as in the previous one.
GB runs 16th May - 19th June and your host is FredK.
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Marky's Belizean Islander ***FINISHED***

Post by MarkyM607 »

This is my selection, box has been opened to look over the parts but that's all the work done today!.

I can only find so much info on the Islander in service with the BDF-AW. I think they have in total eight aircraft and fifteen personnel although that might be old data!!. I need to close up all but one or two windows in the fuselage and decide what green to use. Will probably have to make my own decals, Belize ones are somewhat in the rocking horse poo category!!.
If there is time, and ONLY if, I might try this one too. The BDF-AW has the UH-1H, this is a D but they are the same except for the engine if my research is correct.

Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
fredk

Re: Marky's Belizean Islander

Post by fredk »

I haven't seen an Islander kit for everso long.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
philp

Post by philp »

I tried the Islander in the first GB. Was trying to do Jamaica but need fin flashes and the writing parts and still haven't got the right software to make my own decals yet. But someday.

Will be watching this one.
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

A very interesting selection.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

philp wrote:I tried the Islander in the first GB. Was trying to do Jamaica but need fin flashes and the writing parts and still haven't got the right software to make my own decals yet. But someday.

Will be watching this one.
Hi, I haven't got a proper/fancy programme for decals either, I just use the bog standard paint programme that comes on my PC. It doesn't do really fine/straight lines, they look a tiny bit blocky, but you can paint the edges to tidy them up. You can at least make the basics and give yourself a starting point.

Toby: This came about from reading Phoenix Squadron by Rowland White. It details Ark Royal's activities in 1970-3 sort of time as well as the long range Buccaneer mission to show the flag over Belize when it was in serious threat of aggression/invasion from or by Guatemala. The Belize Defence Force-Air Wing was formed in 1983 (I think), two years after Belizean independence from Britain. It just seemed to fit the Lesser Represented Countries bill!!.

Fred: I actually have another Islander waiting to become a Trislander if I can pull of the third engine and the fuselage extension!!!. :lol:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

My progress so far...
Molly-new

Post by Molly-new »

MarkyM607 wrote:You can at least make the basics and give yourself a starting point.
There is a good picture of the national flag here http://www.aircraft-insignia.com/page5.htm that you could scan in, re-size and print out.
Airfix WWII Aircraft Of The Aces.
Completed - 10
Building -
Pending -4
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Thanks, that might be worth a try!. On a follow up note, I've put the pilot's seats on the cabin floor. As these were used for transportation I'm not sure whether to fit the other four pairs of seats. Of course you can transport people as well as supplies!!. :grin:
I also don't think I need to change the windows as previously thought, the kit seems a match for pictures, I was remembering the kit as having a row of square windows rather than the two or three it has.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

If you aren't getting the print quality on your decals, first look at the settings on your printer, and make sure you are on high quality.

You might find Paint.Net a good substitute for the bog-standard Paint programme on your PC. It's free, and easy to use. It lets you operate with very high resolution, so that the printer becomes the limiting factor.

There's a high res Belize flag here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_B ... Belize.svg;
Up in the Great White North
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

A little bit done. I've used all of the seats, bit of a troop transport going on!.

Alright I've used all of the seat bases, thought it would be easier to paint the floor before putting the seats on!.
fredk

Post by fredk »

At least its not in that very bright yellow plastic the first issues were moulded in.
philp

Post by philp »

Make sure you use plenty of weight in her. I filled the nose and added some on the floor to finally get her to balance out. Just painted over them so not so visible.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

fredk wrote:At least its not in that very bright yellow plastic the first issues were moulded in.
Good point, I'd better check the other one I have!. It ranks alongside Red and silver in my least preferred plastic colour!.
philp wrote:Make sure you use plenty of weight in her. I filled the nose and added some on the floor to finally get her to balance out. Just painted over them so not so visible.
Thanks for that Philip, didn't even occur to me to add weight, or whether it would be needed. Think you might have saved me another tailsitter!!, getting bored of them (The Sycamore tail sits, the Canberra SC.9 in the One thing to another GB does, so thanks again).
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Weight has been added in the nose, the kit instructions also say to add some in the engines!. Working on that, don't desperately need the props to go around but will have to use Liquid Gravity. It could mean superglue getting at the pin that holds the props!.

fredk

Post by fredk »

Cover the pin and surrounding area with cling film.
That may prevent glue reaching it.

Return to “Lesser Represented Countries”