HMS Warspite at Jutland **DNF**

Ships of the Royal Navy from Henry VIII (1510) to 2016, including the "Sister Navies" RAN, RCN, RNZN, etc. Any kit, any scale.
GB runs 4 June - 17 July, and your host is Paul Bradley.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

HMS Warspite at Jutland **DNF**

Post by splash »

HMS Warspite was built in Devonport Dockyard between 1912 - 1915 and at the time was one of the most powerful warships of the day. Some of the advanced features included using fuel oil powered steam turbines to give her a top speed of nearly 24 knots and a range of 8600 nm at 12 knots and was armed with eight 15 in guns, fourteen 6 in guns, two 3 in guns and four 21 in submerged torpedo tubes.

During her long working life she had two major refits and modifications in 1924 & 1934 these totally changed her looks from initially two funnels then to two into one funnel & finally into just one large funnel. Over the two modernisations her superstructure was also totally change with the inclusion of a hanger and catapult and solid bridge structure.

The Airfix kit show her at the end of WWII, so to backdate her to how she looked at Jutland will require removing all of her superstructure and scratch building.

T.B.C
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: HMS Warspite at Jutland

Post by iggie »

This is going to be interesting!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Ditto, and very appropriate in this 100th Anniversary year.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Now I know this might come as a shock :shock: but this time I have actually researched the subject and kit before actually starting the build.

As usual when Paul put me down as building HMS Warspite at Jutland for this years CBK display. I just assumed it would be a straight change of colour from what Airfix suggested in the box :roll:

Having now researched the subject and purchased the excellent TOPDRAWINGS 18 by Witold Koszela I can see what a challenge this will be. The book with it's 2 large A2 size pull out plans, gives you all the information you need to convert her to any configuration she sailed as.

The book even has 3 elevation scale drawing of the different superstructures, it's boats & aircraft.

The only down side, is the book keeps bringing out detail I hadn't expected, for example the 6 in guns along the side, the kit has four either side (correct for 1938) in 1916 she had six either side.

Here is what the book content looks like.

chrism

Post by chrism »

That series of books are excellent. I have them on KGV, and Bismarck (so far ...)
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

This is what I plan to use, two part started kits, one a full hull the other has been cut down to the waterline. The reason I originally bid for these on eBay was the sheet of self adhesive wood decking that unfortunately can't be used on this conversion but will get used when I build her after her 2nd major refit.

My current experience of converting the Belfast into the Sheffield has taught me don't under estimate any changes to ships armour as it requires drastic surgery, this is even more relevant with the Warspite as she had a major addition of large bulges added to her in 1931. Because of this I'm leaning towards using the waterline hull as the bulges are less noticeable.

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Good plan.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

splash wrote:HMS Warspite was built in Devonport Dockyard between 1912 - 1915 and at the time was one of the most powerful warships of the day. Some of the advanced features included using fuel oil powered steam turbines to give her a top speed of nearly 24 knots and a range of 8600 nm at 12 knots and was armed with eight 15 in guns, fourteen 6 in guns, two 3 in guns and four 21 in submerged torpedo tubes.

During her long working life she had two major refits and modifications in 1924 & 1934 these totally changed her looks from initially two funnels then to two into one funnel & finally into just one large funnel. Over the two modernisations her superstructure was also totally change with the inclusion of a hanger and catapult and solid bridge structure.

The Airfix kit show her at the end of WWII, so to backdate her to how she looked at Jutland will require removing all of her superstructure and scratch building.

T.B.C

You might also want to take a look at "British Battleships of World War I" by R.A. Burt It is a great reference for any of the British Battleships and battlecruisers from that period. As for Warspite, the book goes over each modification to her on each refit and includes nice line drawings and photos.
On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Chuck Finley wrote:You might also want to take a look at "British Battleships of World War I" by R.A. Burt It is a great reference for any of the British Battleships and battlecruisers from that period. As for Warspite, the book goes over each modification to her on each refit and includes nice line drawings and photos.
I have just checked out the book you recommended, it looks brilliant but the £50 price tag puts me off a bit :cry:
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

splash wrote:
Chuck Finley wrote:You might also want to take a look at "British Battleships of World War I" by R.A. Burt It is a great reference for any of the British Battleships and battlecruisers from that period. As for Warspite, the book goes over each modification to her on each refit and includes nice line drawings and photos.
I have just checked out the book you recommended, it looks brilliant but the £50 price tag puts me off a bit :cry:

That's funny, I picked mine off Amazon for less than $50.00 when it first came out. Books etc. in the UK has a copy for 25.51 pounds right now. Just go to Amazon.uk and click on the 18 new. I frequently find that Amazon itself is one of the most expensive choices. Remember, it is one big hardcover book so $50.00 US is not that unreasonable.
On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

The kit had been started by the previous owner, who had cut the hull down to the waterline and painted it in the late war colours, so first thing was to remove all the superstructure and odds and sods then give it a coat or primer.

Next it's a case of removing all the detail like the hanger and locating points Airfix moulded onto the deck, this was done with a flat saw and a scraper.

chrism

Post by chrism »

Is this going to be another of your major chop and rebuild jobs.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

chrism wrote:Is this going to be another of your major chop and rebuild jobs.
Not so much Chop this time, just lots of scratch building from the deck upwards.

I'm currently pondering on how to make two funnels, should I just mould them from milliput or try making a plasticine master for a resin mould?
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Personally, I'd build a framework from plastic card and fill with milliput.
Up in the Great White North
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

AndrewR wrote:Personally, I'd build a framework from plastic card and fill with milliput.
Great idea, That sounds like a cunning plan that might work.

Return to “In the Navy - Royal Navy Ships”