'Aces High' GB

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: 'Aces High' GB

Post by Old_Tonto »

Me too.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

fredk wrote:
Maverick231 wrote:No what I meant was I only used the Falklands War as an example, has any Harrier pilot achieved more than 5 air kills from any nation in any conflict?
fredk wrote:The only two other users of Harriers who may have used them in battle are the US Marines and Indian Navy. Neither have any Aces on them. The USMC has a couple of Aces who flew Harriers but became aces on other mounts
I don't know how many kills those USMC pilots had in AV-8 Harriers, they flew F-14 as well.

But lets take Richthofen's red DR1. He was undoubtedly an ace. But he did not achieve Ace in the DR1, afair it was in an Albatros D.III. Do we exclude the Red DR1? I think not.
Many other pilots achieved Ace status in one aeroplane, or between mounts, and each of their mounts I think is allowed; therefore, a USMC AV-8 Harrier as flown by one of those USMC Aces should be allowed

Any thoughts on my reasoning?

I think any combat aircraft flown by the pilot (or the WSO) AFTER they became an ace should be allowed.
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
philp

Post by philp »

I am not aware of any recent US pilot that has reached Ace status. The last ones I know of were during the Vietnam war and there were only 5.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... lying_aces;

There are several that have scored a kill and one that has 3 but none that have reached that magic number of 5 which makes you an ace.

There were a bunch on both sides in the Korean War, some in the Indo-Pakastani wars and some from the Arab-Israeli wars if you are looking for a more modern ace.
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

I'm still a definite for this if it's a goer
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”