Daz's Movie Madness!

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
DazDaMan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Daz's Movie Madness!

Post by DazDaMan »

It is the Heller kit, right enough.

I COULD do the V.R.E '108. However, I don't have rockets.... :roll:

Oh, and if anyone thinks I've run out of Spitfires from films to build, I still have:

Pearl Harbor
A Bridge Too Far
Operation Crossbow

and probably a couple more to do.

That said, the Battle of Britain collection still seems to be growing. I need to do a Mk.IX/XVI with a 3-blade prop....!
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
Muttzley
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Muttzley »

FAAMAN wrote:Your Bf 108's could've been used in VON Ryan's Express also ;-) ;-)
Great idea for a thread, nicely done overall 8-) 8-)
Made an appearance in "The Great Escape" as well.
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

So, this one was a sorta-quicky model that I did, just to see how it would turn out.

Like a couple of my previous builds, it's a Frog Bf109F, modified to look like a Hispano HA.1112M1-L. However, I haven't done the full-blown deeper engine cowling as on the real thing, as this particular aircraft does not have it.

You might recognise it as the aircraft seen early on in the film Pearl Harbor, dogfighting with Spitfires flown by Ben Affleck and the RAF Eagle Squadron. The aircraft was modified by the owners in the early 1990s to have the nose profile more closely resemble that of the Bf109G with the DB605 engine. It kinda works, from a distance! This particular aircraft was actually originally earmarked for use in Dunkirk, but this didn't happen for a number of reasons.

I did think about doing this particular model for the Merlin-powered GB, but I always thought that this particular model, rescued from a box of bashed and battered models that I acquired a while back, would be a suitable candidate for conversion. Modifications are limited only to the front of the model - engine cylinder fairings and a slightly extended air intake. The lower cowling doesn't look too far off the full-sized machine - at least I hope so!
Daren

DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

This one should have been a candidate for the Merlin GB, but I decided to do it separately because I didn't want to rush the lettering on the sides (obviously haven't done those yet!)

It's a Spitfire XVI from the film adaptation of First Light. It's only really seen early on in the film, as the aircraft in which Geoffrey Wellum takes off, and towards the end in a few quick shots. It was not repainted for the film, so stands out from the Battle of Britain out-takes that the film-makers used for their combat scenes.
Daren

DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

I'm just sitting watching Battle of Britain for the umpteenth time (must be about the 3rd or 4th time this year!), and I'm very tempted to do a diorama of one of the airfields.

Tempted. If I can find somewhere to do it.....!
Daren

DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Another Spit for the collection - The Fighter Collection's Mk.VB EP120, in her Dark Blue World colours from 2000.

If you've not seen this film, PLEASE check it out. It's about a group of Czech pilots in the RAF, and in particular the relationship between two of them after they fall in love with the same woman. Think of it as a low-budget version of Pearl Harbor - only better!

A more familiar face this time.....

Gotta love those Buchons! This one is, of course, from Battle of Britain, and is based on the aircraft currently flying from the Imperial War Museum at Duxford. G-AWHK was one of the many flyable Buchons used in the film, and was also the aircraft seen in Dunkirk. There's the very real prospect of no less than THREE Buchons flying at Duxford this year!
Daren

DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

So, this arrived in the mail on Saturday.....

After less than a day, it went from a sad, part-built kit, to this....

I'll start getting paint on it later on this week, hopefully!
Daren

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

It's good to see a model that has suffered previous abuse getting a second chance, well saved that man :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

It looks as though the previous builder rather sensibly got rid of the kit's wings and tailplane and just kept the fuselage and canopy. The wings are definitely from another Messerschmitt!
Daren

celt

Post by celt »

Well saved that man,you and Vacant are kindred spirits. :grin:
Regards
celt
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

You might be surprised, celt, but I might be building a Hurricane very soon.... ;-)
Daren

celt

Post by celt »

DazDaMan wrote:You might be surprised, celt, but I might be building a Hurricane very soon.... ;-)
At last a proper fighter. :razz: I can not wait to see Hawkers finest get the DazDaMan treatment.
Regards
celt
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

I'm not sure which Hurricane it will be yet, as there are a couple of films featuring Hurris that I've not done yet!

Reach for the Sky
Dywizjon 303
Hurricane

I've got one from Angels One-Five already, and several from Battle of Britain.
Daren

DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

So, the latest addition to the collection is this one....

This is a Hasegawa P-51D Mustang, painted in the markings of one of the aircraft used in the film Memphis Belle. The kit is a nice little build, with no issues to really speak of, although the decals were minced because of their age. I replaced them with stuff from the spares box.

Really pleased with this one, though!
Daren

Michael modeller 48

Post by Michael modeller 48 »

That's one nice Mustang!

Return to “Aviation Modelling”