Migrant's Cabin

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: Migrant's Cabin

Post by Stuart »

Beautiful build Mike!

Am I right in thinking your rigging method is in one of your circuit and bumps books?
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

Thanks guys!
Softscience wrote: March 12th, 2024, 4:02 am Tube cement! What a brilliantly simple idea! Going to pick some up for the Vildebeest (and other biplanes that arrived in the mail today). I might take a few deep sniffs, too.

Your Heinkel is a thing of great beauty. How many actual sessions of work between these pictures and the previous? I imagine the five hours of wing setting didn't all happen in a single session of modeling?
Cheers Ralph. I read about the tube cement idea somewhere and it works great, as long as the strut ends/holes have been cleared of paint. The cement fuzes the plastic together so when it does dry, it's super strong.

I did the rigging over three sessions. It takes a while because I had to ensure the first glued end (using CA) was fully cured. I've lost count of the number of times it wasn't, and a tug on the other end ripped the wire out.
Beautiful build Mike!

Am I right in thinking your rigging method is in one of your circuit and bumps books?
Thanks Stu! A version of it, yes, I think the Sopwith Pup article. Now I drill one set of holes all the way through one wing, so I can pull the wires really taut and glue them securely. It does mean more filling/sanding/painting unfortunately.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Migrant wrote: March 12th, 2024, 3:03 pm Thanks Stu! A version of it, yes, I think the Sopwith Pup article. Now I drill one set of holes all the way through one wing, so I can pull the wires really taut and glue them securely. It does mean more filling/sanding/painting unfortunately.
Bulldog Mike - the Pup was the 'how to paint wood' guide. I shall sit and have a re-read.

TeeELL
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TeeELL »

Mike,
when I do the rigging on my biplanes I use ‘invisible thread’ monofilament or similar fishing string. As the smallest hole that can be drilled is about 3x larger than the diameter of the monofilament, I pass the filament through and double it back. I then pull the filament back through until the loop has just disappeared into the hole. When cyno is then added it has more filament to ‘grab’. Trim the tail either flush with the wing lower surface or a couple of mm so it represents the tensioning ‘thing’!
Where possible I drill the holes such that they are aligned with the rigging wire, either that or I compromise and drill at 45 deg.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
Migrant

Post by Migrant »

TeeELL wrote: March 12th, 2024, 4:43 pm Mike,
when I do the rigging on my biplanes I use ‘invisible thread’ monofilament or similar fishing string. As the smallest hole that can be drilled is about 3x larger than the diameter of the monofilament, I pass the filament through and double it back. I then pull the filament back through until the loop has just disappeared into the hole. When cyno is then added it has more filament to ‘grab’. Trim the tail either flush with the wing lower surface or a couple of mm so it represents the tensioning ‘thing’!
Where possible I drill the holes such that they are aligned with the rigging wire, either that or I compromise and drill at 45 deg.
Thanks Tony, some good info there. I used monofilament on a few 1/48 builds and I did like that it added to the structural integrity of the model, just like the real thing. I do like your idea of looping back the excess. I like the elastic thread for 1/72 models. It looks finer, but the main reason is that I'm getting clumsier in my old age and the stretchy stuff is a bit more forgiving when I accidentally catch it!
Migrant

Post by Migrant »

The Heinkel is finished. It looks OK from a distance but up close the rigging is a bit messy. My vision is still reasonably good but I've noticed my depth perception is deteriorating with age, so I struggled to get the ends of the wires in the little holes. I really like the colour scheme though.

Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Mike, from the photos, it looks beautiful!

I have been suffering from similar depth perception problems. Feel free to reach out on PM if you ever want to chat/blow off steam about the "joys" of that aspect of aging
B4en

Post by B4en »

What a beauty!

Sorry to hear about your eye troubles Mike and Ralph. It was thyroid eye disease that messed mine up, but likewise depth perception is a problem for rigging. I used to be able to tie off invisible thread at the top of struts using tweezers - no more!
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

That is a little stunner, you have produced an eye catching model Mike, congrats - that’ll be right at the front of the display case.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Looks stunning Mike!

Andy Dighton

Post by Andy Dighton »

That is a real beauty.
Best wishes
Andy

My post war RAF display team page. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=19491"
XX172 Life of a BAe Hawk 1977-2006. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=23975
feanor
Active Participant

Post by feanor »

Ayup
Mike…

Wow, just Wow…
The best thing, is to keep on building. Clap your hands, stamp your feet, wiggle your fingers…
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

I agree with the above - nothing wrong about that being in the front of the display cabinet. I would be proud of that.
Migrant

Post by Migrant »

Thanks guys!
KellerModeller
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by KellerModeller »

😳👍🏼
Subject 💯
Colour scheme 💯