Stupots (New) Sanctuary

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Stupots (New) Sanctuary

Post by iggie »

Nice looking camo!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That Hurri certainly looks very good to me, Stu. I rarely, if ever, use kit supplied decals for rear fuselage bands as I can never seem to make the damned things fit properly and much prefer to paint the bands instead. Masking up a rear fuselage band can be tricky as fuselages tend to be anything but nice and cylindrical in profile, they usually feature more complex curves which can mean a bit of a 'mare with the masking tape.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

Thanks guys! As usual then the Spitfire band didn't turn out quite so good :-| . Its not bad enough for me to need to change it but I'm sure it will look better than if I used the decal.

ImageDSC_0924 by Stuart Smith, on Flickr

Stu :)
Old fashioned paint brush user.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Is it my eyes or is the band a bit out of kilter at the rear edge, Stu? If so, it's not a million miles out and I agree, probably much better than the decal would have been.

IPMS#12300
celt

Post by celt »

Its not the band thats out of kilter,its the thing its painted on. :ha:Sorry,as a Hurricane fan could not resist.Well tidy work Stuart.
Regards
celt
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

ShaunW wrote:Is it my eyes or is the band a bit out of kilter at the rear edge, Stu? If so, it's not a million miles out and I agree, probably much better than the decal would have been.
I'd say its about 0.5 mm wider at the top. Strange really, you would think it was the easier of the two models to mask. The Hurricane has that bit that runs underneath yet I managed that ok. I guess I was concentrating on the Hurricane a little more to get it right. I will master this one of these days!

Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

celt wrote:Its not the band thats out of kilter,its the thing its painted on. :ha:Sorry,as a Hurricane fan could not resist.Well tidy work Stuart.
Regards
celt
Thanks Celt! Hopefully I can make a decent job of the Hurricane for you!
All the best
Stu :grin:
celt

Post by celt »

Hi Stu,looking forward to your take on the Hurricane.
Regards
celt
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

With the decals now on I’m getting close to finishing the two fighters. In addition to the fuselage bands I also decided not to use the patches covering the guns and have painted on the detail instead. Here’s the Spitfire as it is just now. I have used klear to seal in the decals.

ImageDSC_0934 by Stuart Smith, on Flickr

The superfreighter build continues slowly and the cockpit is now in place. I thought about detailing it but it would have involved too much work and time and in the end not very much will be seen through the windscreen. Instead, I just painted everything black and gave it a drybrush. I think this will do just fine.

ImageSuperfreighter cockpit by Stuart Smith, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.
59North

Post by 59North »

The Spitfire is sure looking good, Stu. It seems like you are a cautious modeller, with the Spitfire being on the table for awhile. I'm exactly the same way.

I've learned to stop buying 1/72 cockpit PE, as you can't see much in a 1/72 cockpit, as your Nord will prove. The cockpit looks lovely as it is.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That Spit really does look excellent, Stu. I like to add extra detail myself which is usually, but not always, scratch built and it all depends upon how much can be seen. I don't like to spend hours on stuff that only I know is there and that no other observer can see!

IPMS#12300
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like how this one is going. :) I like the round tip wings on Spitfires the most but this little clipped wing is really growing on me. I've been working on the underside and have attempted to add some dark shading to the area at the rear of the wing where it meets the back of the fuselage in order to improve the look of it. Not sure its really that clear in the photo but it seems pretty effective from certain angles. This along with the weathering and stains were all done with Humbrol enamels.

ImageSpit1 by Stuart Smith, on Flickr

I've also got the legs attached today. It took ages to get them fixed into the right position (the instructions give you a good side on view that helps) so I'm leaving them well alone now while the glue dries. The Hurricane too has its legs attached but they each attach in a couple of places so was much easier to do.

skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Nice work on the camouflage painting, and those two transports will be interesting models.
Good work!

David
iggie

Post by iggie »

The Spitfire is really looking the business now and the Superfreighter cockpit looks awesome
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Your spitfire is looking great, Stu!

Return to “Workbench Window”