Trumpeter RA-5C Vigilante 1/72 FINISHED

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Trumpeter RA-5C Vigilante 1/72 FINISHED

Post by JamesPerrin »

Not an aircraft I know w a lot about, though more after reading Tarkas’ post. But always impressive looking. You’ve got a great model there
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
jamesaw
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by jamesaw »

Lovely job. I had to check the scale again when looking at the cockpit detailing you did. Impressive isn't a strong enough word!
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Beautiful build! Your details in the cockpit are really impressive, and I like the finish.
vacant

Post by vacant »

Very good looking model. The pin wash lines and black dots are immaculate - a real winner.

I struggle, however, to understand why the use of such detailed pin washing on a 1/72 scale looks effective! Photos of the real aircraft show little or no signs of these black lines. and dots. Check out this one,, for example https://www.skytamer.com/1.2/2007/7151.jpg;
So what is going on in the modeller's brain to make us like them. Is it something to do with a sub-conscious desire to exaggerate some details in a scale model to compensate for their small size?
Navy one
Getting well comfy!

Post by Navy one »

vacant wrote:

So what is going on in the modeller's brain to make us like them. Is it something to do with a sub-conscious desire to exaggerate some details in a scale model to compensate for their small size?
I think it's to show off all the details that are on a model. It is exegerated but you can not compare it with a museum bird. They are always in a factory new paintjob.
They look often more like models then a model. Look at the Tomcats on display, all perfect in paint, not quite what you see in the pictures on board while in combat.
vacant

Post by vacant »

Showing off the details on the model may be what's at the bottom of it, but it is an exaggeration that seldom relates to reality, either for a service aircraft or certainly not for a museum painted one. There is something going on that lets us suspend 'reality' in favour of exaggeration, giving us the illusion of a degree of detail that is simply not visible at that scale. I would never argue that modellers should not do it because it is so effective. I'm just curious as to why.
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

I think the original idea was to represent the fading of paint in the centres of well- or even not-that-well-worn panels as opposed to the edges which tended to attract grime, grease, etc., and so looked darker. That may or may not be valid, but the idea of pre-shading caught on, and the usual way of achieving that led to the exaggerated darkened panel edges and lines that are de rigeur these days.

Part of the problem is the need to let the pre-shading show through the paint, so a delicate balance has to be struck between there being too much contrast -- which is the usual situation IMO -- and not enough, so that the panel lines disappear. I've always thought that using an airbrush for pre-shading usually leads to over-wide dark edges around the lighter centres, and have though about trying a pen to emphasise the lines and edges rather than spraying. Will it work? If I ever try it, I'll let you know... ;-) :roll:
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Absolutely stunning and inspirational build. Thanks for sharing and for a guide through the process. I'll certainly be referring back when I build mine 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
celt

Post by celt »

:wanw
Regards
celt
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

Always good to see another one of the flock of Gull Grays. especially so well done. I love the detailing.
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"

Return to “Aviation Modelling”