Harrier GR.7

Home of the IPMS Cold War SIG. Hop over the wall and join the party comrade.

Moderators: Falcon, Dazzled

IronMan129
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Harrier GR.7

Post by IronMan129 »

Evening folks.
I've been looking around on the net for a while but can't seem to find a straight answer so I want to know if a Harrier GR.7 would be appropriate to display on a Cold War table?
I know the T.10 is a no no and the GR.5 was before 1991 but can't decide on the GR.7.

I plan on bringing a wealth of RAF Harriers to display at Telford so this information would be greatly appreciated.
Dazzled

Re: Harrier GR.7

Post by Dazzled »

Being an ex GR7 maintenance tech I've already looked into this and the answer is yes but with some provisos.

The RAFs factory built GR7s all entered service before the end of 1991 so all are eligible, although I'd prefer it if they were in actual markings from the time. From late 1991 onwards and, in fact, afterwards and therefore too late to be eligible for the Cold War display, the GR5s were upgraded to Mk.7 standard.

So, GR7s in the correct markings, yes......converted GR5s, no.

How to tell them apart?

GR7 registration codes began with the letters "ZG" while those on the GR5s began with the letters "ZD".

That, and a modicum of research, should set you on the right track. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
IronMan129

Re: Harrier GR.7

Post by IronMan129 »

Thank you Daz, you and Mark have helped me massively on this!

Return to “Cold War Chat”