Recommendations for a model holder required!

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
Ned
Series 3 and Beyond

Recommendations for a model holder required!

Post by Ned »

Hello all, I'm in the process of setting up a airbrush booth in the mancave and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a model holder? Something that can be angled and keeps me from holding the model and off the deck.

Also, for those that display planes as flying what do you use as the stands/holders? I've seen the airfix stands but I'm looking to do a dio where the plane is in the air so they wouldn't work.

Any advice/links etc would be much appriciated.

Ned
Last edited by JamesPerrin on June 12th, 2018, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: generic title
TeeELL
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Recommendations required!

Post by TeeELL »

Ned,
For displaying your model aircraft ‘flying’, can I suggest using some clear acrylic rod. You can bend it with heat and fix using epoxy to the aircraft and a drilled hole in a wooden base.
As for supporting models whilst in the spray booth, Tamiya make a variety of ‘systems’.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Look about here, we have some very inventive members.
I use the Tamiya holders, but also keep blocks of foam, bass/balsa sticks, Lego, tape, etc, about and use what works best for the particular item being hosed down. Think about rods up tail pipes, into intakes, into the hole where a prop might go later. Rods gently tacked into open bomb bays, landing gear bays, etc.

In flight - clear acrylic rod, you can get some exciting displays that way. But plan ahead how you will secure it in the fuselage and also test the plane and the base as to where to locate the rod so it doesn't all tip over.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Ned
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Ned »

Thanks guys, tips used to good effect. Got me some acrylic rod on the way and I got myself a Tamiya painting stand. It's not ideal, but will do for now.

Return to “Finishing Tips”