FFestiniog Railway

For the train spotter in all of us ....
general rocket
Modelling Gent and Scholar

FFestiniog Railway

Post by general rocket »

For those of you not familliar with the Festiniog Railway, It's a narrow gauge line running from Portmadoc on the Welsh coast to Blaenau Festiniog in the heart of the Welsh slate quarries. To be correct it should be FFestiniog but a spelling mistake in parliament saw it incorporated as Festiniog with one F. It was built to a gauge of 1'11 1/2".
Rocket Junior (age 24) had a job interview there and despite him having a car of his own it was neccersary for me to drive him there ;-). So I thought you may find the following of interest.

Lyd.
A new build 2-6-2T commisioned in 2010, a copy of a Manning Warddle design. She was built in the Ffestiniog Railways own sheds at Boston Lodge. The original design was used on the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway (later taken over by the Southern Railway) in Devon.
The first pictures are taken in Portmadoc Station, Followed by her crossing the Cob, a man made causeway across the Glaslyn Estuary.

Castell Criccieth/Criccieth Castle.
0-6-0D Passenger loco. Built at Boston Lodge in 1995 to design by Baguley-Drewery and using parts supplied by the same company. As with many Ffestiniog diesels, her in name in Welsh on one side and English on the other.

Moel Y Gest.
A 4wd built by Hunslet in 1965. Here she is used as a yard pilot/shunter. Moel is a welsh word meaning bare hill, and Moel-Y-Gest is a hill over looking the Ffestiniog line.

Merddyn Emrys.
Pronounced Merthin and named after an ancient Welsh poet. An 0-4-4-0T double Fairlie built in 1879 we see her here being shunted by Moel-Y-Gest.

David Lloyd George/Daffyd Lloyd George.
Another Double Fairlie. A double Fairlie is a single firebox and two boilers over two independantly turnable bogies and whenj introduced in the 1870's where pound for pound the most powerful engines then available until the introduction of the Garratt type around the turn of the centiry. David Lloyd George was built at Boston Lodge and entered service in 1992. Seen here with her last train of the day she crosses the Cob, and then returns with her empty train before end of the day attention.

And now we get extreme. Built by Cockerill in 1937 to a design by Beyer-Peacock, she is a 2-6-2+2-6-2 and spent her working life in South Africa. She is used on the Welsh Highland Railway, part of the same company, and meeting at Portmadoc station. This is worth seeing as Portmadoc is the only place in Britain where street running happens. She is unable to run on the Ffestiniog line to Blaenau Ffestiniog as the track clearances will not permit such large engines to pass. The track bed of the Ffestiniog line is a "Listed Structure" which prevents them making alterations that would allow them to run the Garratts.

And finally, Rocket Junior, who couldn't wait to get his suit off.

Any queries or comments, feel free.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: FFestiniog Railway

Post by JamesPerrin »

I remember our school trip when we opened the carriage windows before going into a tunnel and the carriage filling with smoke.

I'll have to take our kids there some day. Thanks for a very informative post.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Wonderful post !
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Opening the window is part of the fun when you are that age.
Children are a very useful excuse for many things.
The Ffestiniog is 13 miles long and one of the finest preserved lines in Britain. The Welsh Highland is connected at Portmadoc and is 25 miles long, I've not yet managed to get a ride on it yet. So if you can get over here in the summer months, try to put it on your adgenda.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
iggie

Post by iggie »

Love the pictures General, and the Ffestiniog too; we last went on it about three years ago (I think) from Blaenau down to Porthmadog, but had to get the bus back up again as our engine had started a lineside fire on it's way down!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “The Engine Shed”