Ageless and Nostalgic Vintage Models Special Interest Group

Recommendations of all those increasingly rare LMS's in a town near you, so the rest of us can find them and marvel! Also, the places near you where blokes approach you, furtively clutching the latest SAMI and smelling of resin.
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Ageless and Nostalgic Vintage Models Special Interest Group

Post by chrism »

A new special interest modelling group has recently been formed, and accredited by the IPMS:

Ageless and Nostalgic Vintage Models

We support and showcase all those vintage and nostalgic plastic models from the 1950s, 1960s and 1970's (plus a few gems from early 1980s) that many of us, now in our 50s, 60s and 70s remember from our youth. We embrace all plastic injection moulded kits, from any manufacturer that were newly tooled and marketed in that time-frame. Many of these models still regularly appear on the second hand market, while others get an occasional re-release by alternative companies.

While the moulds may be old, the techniques, the paints and the odd little bits of etched metal or resin that are often incorporated today, help us to showcase how these little nostalgic gems of yesteryear so proudly stand the test of time.

Many of the models our members now build, are ones they once aspired to build and own if pocket money ever permitted, or now desire to “build once again... and get right this time” as those words too, can, and regularly do, invoke cherished memories of innocent youth.

We welcome new members – be they kit builders or cherished vintage kit collectors, or even those who just want to look in on us and take a stroll down memory lane.

= = = = = = =

Unless there is a major cancellation or change in plans from any existing booked SIG or club, we do not envisage having a display at SMW Telford in 2018.

We shall be displaying at a number of events in 2019, including hopefully the Milton Keynes model show on 28 April and ScaleModelWorld Telford in November 2019.

In coming weeks we will be establishing both an internet and facebook presence.

Anyone reading this who would like to know more about us, or get involved with us, please drop me a message (PM on this forum) and/or make a comment in this thread, and I will come back to you.

Remember – there is no limit on the number of different clubs or interest groups that anyone can be a member of.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Re: Ageless and Nostalgic Vintage Models Special Interest Gr

Post by beany »

I'm in, and already looking forward to the Milton Keynes show next year. It will be a great chance to display all of the "Classic Foreign Kits" I've been making over the years - including many of my beloved Revell 1/32 aircraft!
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
iggie

Post by iggie »

Not sure if you got my reply to your PM Chris, but count me in
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

I'll be at MK too :razz:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I'm in and will be at MK with the Cold War SIG. Off the top of my head, a few bits of 70's Tamiya armour to start with and I'll have to look in the stash and the loft for more. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Markh_75

Post by Markh_75 »

You can count me in! But are the 40’s included? I have a number of aircraft in this time frame and it looks like a great place to be.
What I mean is that my models are based on aircraft from the late 1930’s to the late 1940’s including aircraft of the USAAC, USAAF, USMC and US Navy in WW2. Thank you.
Twas Blollig and the Shalomey Touves didst gear and grumble in the wardrobe!
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Chris refers to kits manufactured in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970's (plus a few gems from early 1980s), rather than subjects from that era ;-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
chrism

Post by chrism »

Thanks Ratch for clarifying. Hi Mark. Yes you would be very welcome to join us and display with us. The simple remit we have is for when the moulds were first released into sale. Kits that first went on sale in the 50s 60s 70s etc. If you would like more info do drop me a PM and I will move forward from there
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits

Return to “Are You Local? Model Shops and Clubs”