1/144 Airliner Windows

What makes a British kit a Classic? What Classic kit is really British? What is the SIG all about and what goes on...from initial musings, to full on campaigning. It'll all be here, interspersed with talk of Texan Bars, Alias Smith & Jones and The Flashing Blade, Footy Cards and Bath Night, before School.

Moderators: JamesPerrin, mattbacon

59North
Modelling Gent and Scholar

1/144 Airliner Windows

Post by 59North »

Following the recent request for 1/144 Airfix airliner submissions that was posted elsewhere in the forum, I have a question for those who may be building the airliners. What do you intend to do with the passenger windows on those airliners?

In my experience, Airfix does not usually give any clear parts for passenger windows. So, I usually fill them and resort to some AM decals that portray those windows. I'm curious as to what others do.
This Airfix 737-200 being built is not a submission, but, an example of what I do:

This approach depends on shelling out extra cash on AM decals; in this case expensive PWA decals. I just can't picture building a model with alot of holes in the sides.
I'm not a member of the group, but, I'm asking the question anyway, as I will be building the Airfix 707 for SMW 2019 purposes, and will likely have to use AM decals.
RayS

Re: 1/144 Airliner Windows

Post by RayS »

I do the same, I fill the openings and use cabin window and windscreen decals supplied with an aftermarket sheet.

If you want to do one of the kit supplied schemes then you can just get a 'windows and doors' AM sheet.

Draw Decal in the USA does a number of these for various airliners
Ray
-----------------------
iggie

Post by iggie »

I have just taken delivery of an Airfix Caravelle, which has window openings. The kit includes decals that go over the openings, and a tool to then punch out the openings through the decal. There is also a tube of clearfix included! I remember the principle of the punch from building these as a boy, but I don't recall there ever being anything provided to then add the glazing afterwards though. I will use the intended method so hopefully it'll look ok!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
59North

Post by 59North »

Thanks for the answers, gentlemen!
iggie wrote:The kit includes decals that go over the openings, and a tool to then punch out the openings through the decal. There is also a tube of clearfix included!
That is interesting to find out those window allowances were included in the kit. Usually, it's only a basic and incomplete decal set. I've never seen clearfix and a tool in the box.
Perhaps the 1970's Airfix 707 boxing that is being shipped to me will have these inclusions. I'd like to keep it as original as is possible, with only tricky paintwork as AM additions.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

A 70's boxing should have the window punch and Windows included. Clearfix wasn't in production at that time though. If using the punch I would use a good decal setting solution as the decals sometimes flake off around the Windows when you punch them out. (they did this in my KLM DC9 last year) Thanks to that and post Telford damage that model has been consigned to the refurb pile to rework as a C9 Nightingale.
Short of Clearfix I have heard that white glue can be used as an alternative.

All the best.

Greg.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

There's too much of a danger of the decals flaking as mentioned by Greg for my tastes when using those window punches. I'm an occasional airliner builder and when faced with olde worlde open apertures and strips of clear window transparencies I follow the fill and replace with AM window decals route, including the flight deck windows. I find window decals look perfectly acceptable in 1/144th although of course I accept other modellers would disagree!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
RayS

Post by RayS »

ShaunW wrote:There's too much of a danger of the decals flaking as mentioned by Greg for my tastes when using those window punches. I'm an occasional airliner builder and when faced with olde worlde open apertures and strips of clear window transparencies I follow the fill and replace with AM window decals route, including the flight deck windows. I find window decals look perfectly acceptable in 1/144th although of course I accept other modellers would disagree!
With the photo real windscreen and cabin window decals available I think they look exceptionally good theses days.
Ray
-----------------------
59North

Post by 59North »

Thankyou for a fine discussion, fellows.
Whether or not the kit I've ordered has a tool and clearfix in it is yet to be seen. In retrospect, I'll probably fill in the passenger windows, as is my usual means, and resort to the AM decals. I don't mind them in this scale, either.

I have looked at what is being offered by some AM producers, and certainly like some of what I see. Most of what is offered is referenced to the 300 series 707. The Airfix is a 400 series as far as I'm aware, though, I believe the only difference is engine type.
Just have to wait until the kit is delivered, I suppose. Fingers are crossed in view of the recent Canadian postal strike issues.

Return to “Classic British Chat”