Matchbox - Handley Page Halifax

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Eric Mc
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Matchbox - Handley Page Halifax

Post by Eric Mc »

As usual, because of work pressure, my model building takes a serious back seat for the months of October through to the end of January. This year has been no different. One of the things that keeps me going through the "bleak midwinter" is the knowledge that from February, my time is a lot less constrained and I can start thinking about what models I want to build for the next few months.

I've been building up in my stash a collection of various Halifax kits and I thought it must be about time that I actually assembled one of them. The one I have chosen to build is the venerable Matchbox kit which was originally issued back in 1979. It was later released under the Revell label. This could be a bit confusing for some modellers because in the last few years Revell has also released two brand new Halifax kits which are pretty much state of the art as far as quality of moulding, panel lines etc are concerned. Despite this, the first Revell issue, which was of the early Merlin powered versions, has some serious shape and dimension issues, particularly around the size of the engines , propellers and main wheels - which is a real pity. Their second new tool release which features the later Hercules powered versions is better (although the undersized mainwheels are still included).

The Matchbox kit has a few issues of its own. It's obviously an older technology kit and is less complex with less detail. There is also a problem in that the nose is a bit too long.

However, its main issue is the shape of the cockpit transparencies. The Halifax had an asymmetric shape to the canopy, the front windscreen on the starboard side being deeper than on the port. This was to give the pilot a better view off to his right. Matchbox missed this completely when they moulded the canopy. I have a Falcon "RAF Bomber" set which contains correct shape canopies so hopefully I can replace the kit version with the Falcon one - although some surgery to the kit is required to make it fit. As far as I know, they got the engine nacelles, wheels and propellers correct.

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Matchbox - Handley Page Halifax

Post by ShaunW »

Good choice, Eric and I look forward to seeing your efforts with this classic.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Nice choice. I look forward to the build.

David
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

Eric

I am building this kit too. Matchbox did correctly make the canopy deeper on the starboard side than on the port, but they failed to capture the asymmetrical cross-section of the nose ahead of the canopy, which resulted in a sharper drop in the right front windscreen. The nose would have to be reshaped to correct this. I don't know if the plastic in the part is thick enough to sand it down without going through it. I didn't bother. Here's a clip from a scale drawing to show what is needed.

There are plenty of other inaccuracies. It is hard to be sure which models the cowling chin intakes are meant to represent, but my best guess is the late type, used on the late Merlin XX/22 powered B.2s and B.Vs. The forward-swept intakes, either with or without the pinched lower lip for early Merlin XX powered B.IIs, are not provided. This limits the variants that can be modeled accurately. I don't think they would be right for any B.I, for example. The machine I chose definitely is wrong, but again, for the sake of getting an old kit built, I decided not to sweat it.

Fit-wise, my fuselage was too warped to be a fair sample of how a normal copy of the kit would fit. I'll be interested in how easy you find it to fit the bomb bay doors. Mine were a disaster. The non-warped parts fit about as well as usual for a kit of this vintage.

Good luck!

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

My kit is an original from the first release (yes, I've owned it for almost 40 years) so I hope there are no warped parts. The Falcon correction has you removing part of the nose decking ahead of the canopy, so I think that should cure any anomalies there.

The rest of the "issues" I can live with. I don't plan on shortening the nose, for example.
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

Sounds like a good conversion set.

I changed my nose out for an Aeroclub Tollerton nose, so that took care of any nose length issues.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
RayS

Post by RayS »

I will be following this build. I built one some time ago for a workmate's Uncle who flew them with 148SQN. I want to build another for me and have a kit in the stash. I was not aware of the cockpit issues so I will see how you tackle them.

I scratch build some interior for the first build which I will replicate on the next one.
Ray
-----------------------
LarryH57
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by LarryH57 »

I too have this kit in my stash so I will be watching your progress with interest!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I built this quite a while back but still have it safely stored in the loft. Inaccurate canopy aside it polishes up quite well with a bit of elbow grease. I think the recessed panel lines help a lot.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Haven't done a huge amount of work on this over the week. I completed the main and tail wheel painting.
H-bomb
Is His Name Really Howard?

Post by H-bomb »

I built the Revell repop a few years ago. I didn't know about the inaccuracies back then and I probably wouldn't have much cared :ha: It looks like a Halibag so it's a Halibag. ;-)
Looking forward to your jobbie.
Cheers Howard
acquired 1
Built 2
Disposed none

On the bench. Airfix Handley Page 0/400 , Escadron Hunting Percival Pembroke
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

After a long period sitting in its box, I've pulled out this project to see if I can make some progress on it. Life was very tough for me at the time I started the kit as my wife was very ill at the time - and she sadly passed away not long after - so I didn't have a huge amount of enthusiasm to go back to this particular project. However, time heals, as they say, and I now feel OK about returning to the build.
I've always had a fondness for the Halifax. It is sometimes looked on as inferior to the Lancaster but it was an extremely versatile aeroplane which performed many different tasks for its operators over and above that of a heavy bomber.
X12A

Post by X12A »

Sorry to read about your wife Eric. Good luck with the build.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

It's really good to see this back on the go, Eric and I do recall the sad passing of your wife which, of course, must have been terribly difficult for you.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

It was - but it's over five years ago now so I've come to terms with it and have resorted my life quite a bit.

Return to “Aviation Modelling”