Airbrush compressor / kit recommendations

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
59North
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Airbrush compressor / kit recommendations

Post by 59North »

PropWash wrote:
On the Badger unit, are you using a bleed-air valve to control pressure since it lacks a regulator?

And thank you for including pics of both the Badger and your ROK units. The pics of the ROK compressor you have helped me understand your setup much better. Did you also attach a water-trap on it as well? And is it a steel or aluminum tank? Sorry for the questions.
No problem with the questions.
The Badger was my first compressor, and I used it just as it came in the box, pushing out the air it could. I was new to airbrushing. Used a double action Badger 150 brush trying to control paint flow over air pressure. Added the water trap later through necessity, as the air holds alot of water, and it was being squeezed out through the compressor. The Badger, though, was only an initiation, and I quickly graduated to a tanked compressor with full control. I have not used the Badger compressor since. It is a backup only.
Yes, I do have an inline water trap for the ROK. The tanks are steel.

Just my opinion/thoughts here. If I could do it all again and knew what I know today. I would save my money and not buy a hobbyist compressor simply due to the apparently higher price tag. I would spend less on a full control, tanked contractor compressor. That compressor, I can regulate down to 5psi or crank it up to fill my truck tires. That's keeping in mind, though, that my situation allows for a couple of minutes of noise to fill those tanks with air. So, I'm lucky that way.
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

Thank you, 59North. I appreciate your patience with my questions and for your comments regarding the hobbyist vs work compressor. I was at the hardware store this afternoon (getting parts for the SeaMaster model) and did some poking around the tank compressors they hand on hand. The price (at this particular big-box chain store) for the compressor with attachments (water trap and air filter) would be close to $200 USD. As I said though, this was just their stock on hand (and I have many other stores here to look at in my area). So money-wise it isn't a big savings. But for utility, it does have a multitude of uses from the mundane (tires) to work (air tools / paint sprayers). And, of course, the noise. I already have an air compressor for filling tires / inflatables that uses a bleed-air valve to set psi from 5 -80. It is maddening how loud it is and how hot it gets after a short time (but it doesn't have a tank so know wonder).

There's a lot to ponder.
59North

Post by 59North »

PropWash wrote:The price (at this particular big-box chain store) for the compressor with attachments (water trap and air filter) would be close to $200 USD..
Just for fun, I went online shopping for a ROK compressor like mine, at the same big box store where I purchased my unit on sale 4 years ago. Indeed, I was very surprised to see the asking price at $300+. That is an extremely steep price increase over what I paid for mine, on sale. That is more than triple what I paid.

If the oil filled ROK cratered on me today, I would still go out and shop for another full function contractor compressor over using the Badger hobby compressor. The Badger runs constantly, it runs hot, it has no regulator or pressure guages, and the vibration is still significant. The Badger is a paper- weight.
I'm quite happy with the ROK. It's not that big, not that heavy; I can fill those tanks and shut it off, and I have full control of the air it pushes out. But, it is quite noisy when running.

PS - I just went downstairs to fill up the ROK's tanks with a stopwatch for experimentation. It took 1min, 16secs to go to 100psi and then auto shutdown. It's important to have these units on a switch, as they will start up on low limit as the air gradually bleeds off.

Good luck with your shopping.
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

Interesting that you found the price increase for your unit placed it in the same price-point as what I found. Thanks so much for your help with this. I'll post what I end up with here.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

This is what I have. I reckon this particular model is sold with lots of different brand names, and in different colours but underneath they're all the same. Runs nice and quiet at 47db, and it's oil-less so no leaks to dirty your floor. this cost under $100 Australian just over a year ago. It was a present bought off the net so I can't help regarding where

Compare with this. It'll do the very same, but it's noisy when the tank is filling and, it's oil filled so as you can see, it does weep oil. With the right connections and a water trap it'll power your airbrush. I know because I've used it :grin:

Saw these at a local auto parts store. Again with the right connections this will power your air brush

Hope this helps.

Nigel

Return to “Construction Tips”