Yodel 1/8th HONDA CBX ROAD RACING TYPE

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Yodel 1/8th HONDA CBX ROAD RACING TYPE

Post by beany »

Model: HONDA CBX Road Racing Type

Scale: 1/8th

Maker: Yodel Model Kits, Tokyo, Japan

Number of Parts: about 222, 2 x rubber tyres, 4x metal springs, tubing (for wiring loom) and a small tube of glue.

Decal sheet for one colour scheme

I can’t find any info. about Yodel but this kit is Nr.4 originally from 1981 and is a re-box of the same kit from 1980 in the Touring configuration (appears to be identical but a plainer colour scheme). They also did some other bike kits in the same scale and several cars in 1/24.

There are 13 runners of parts in the main colours of the bike being modelled meaning that painting could be kept to a bare minimum, but to my eye the shade of red plastic is wrong and I shall have to prime it and re-spray with a Candy Red shade.

The instruction are smaller than A4 and are a fold out style with 8 sides. There is a separate sheet with the parts breakdown. There is no painting guide and there are not even any colour call outs. The instructions are almost solely in Japanese, although the Runners and parts numbers are in “English”.

The kit is not rare per se but is very pricey when it can be found on eBay. I paid £125.00 including £8.00 postage for this one (such is my love of Japanese Superbike kits in 1/8th or 1/6th scale) and the only other one listed the same week was a Buy It Now for £325.00 and £25.00 postage from Italy!

Hopefully I will begin the build review soon as I'm keen to start this one but have a heavy work commitment over the next 6-8 weeks.

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Bill_B
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: Yodel 1/8th HONDA CBX ROAD RACING TYPE

Post by Bill_B »

Wow! Your love for the model must be of epic proportions to pay a not inconsiderable amount for such an old kit. I look forward to the build though. :)

Bill.
montessa315
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by montessa315 »

If you want something it can be worth paying for. Looks a nice kit and quite clean.
Are there bits missing from the red and black sprues, or have you got the loose parts?

Look forward to the build.

Alan.............

Post by ShaunW »

Oh my, a mega kit of a mega motorcycle. I've never seen a CBX in this configuration or colours before with the European type being the one with which I am familiar. Heavy, complex for its time and some might say well over the top but what a machine and with that fabulous engine in full view, I doubt we'll see its like again from Honda, sadly!

It does indeed look like some parts are missing from the red and black sprues and hopefully you've got them safely tucked away.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Yes, all parts are accounted for thanks guys. The plastic is quite brittle - possibly down to age? - so I will be taking extra care with this kit.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1

Return to “In-Box reviews”