Deluxe ERFECT PLASTIC PUTTY is it any good?

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
CementNotGlue
Active Participant

Deluxe ERFECT PLASTIC PUTTY is it any good?

Post by CementNotGlue »

Hi all

My local craft shop has it in stock and thought I'd ask you folks first before purchasing it.

https://deluxematerials.co.uk/collectio ... stic-putty;

They also stock Miliputt which has a long shelf life - I'm using some I bought in the 70s!
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Deluxe ERFECT PLASTIC PUTTY is it any good?

Post by DavidWomby »

It is excellent especially for filling crevices, long thin gaps. It is, as you probably know, water soluble. So you cannot wet sand it. I find it not great for large areas because I like to wetsand but it may work ok for you for that. On the otherhañd, it can be shaped and smoothed with a wet finger or cottonbud when filling things like wing to fuselage joins and it doesn't shrink. It also dries faster than most solvent based putties.

Give it a try.

David
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

I make limited use of it. I find it considerably less than perfect, but still useful.

It remains water soluble FOREVER. Rub it with a wet fingertip 5 years from now and it will soften and rub off just the same as if you applied it 5 minutes ago. So keep water away with it until you can seal it with paints and clearcoats, and after that, too, if you can help it. The good side of this is that, with care, you can use it without ever sanding anything, as David says. However, whatever you wet-rub it with will tend to leave a concave depression in the surface. You may prefer to wet-rub it to get it close and to clean up the excess on the adjacent plastic, but dry sand it for the final shaping.

I find it soft and crumbly, difficult to cut clean surface detail into.

Out of the tube, I find it too thick to work easily into crevices, especially near the mouth of the tube, where it tends to have hardened. But you can thin it with water (again, forever) and thus use even the crusty stuff at the mouth of the tube, and use thin layers to fill the crevices.

It's versatile stuff with useful properties, and it rewards experimentation. I agree with David, you should try it out.

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

As said, it's far from perfect but the ability to smooth it with a wet finger to or cotton bud etc is very useful in avoiding damage to surrounding detail
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Buy some new Milliput it will a revelation! It does harden after a few years but lasts longer than imperfect putty which hardened in the tube as the stupid packaging doesn’t expel air.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
CementNotGlue
Active Participant

Post by CementNotGlue »

Thanks guys

Any recommendations as to superior products still welcome
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

One further drawback of Perfect Putty that I forgot to mention, but am being forcibly reminded of as I work with it this morning, is that it does not adhere well. It is very easy to pull it off the model while shaping it or with masking tape, even with a couple of coats of paint over it. Thinking about it, this is the main reason why I am mainly sticking with more aggressive, solvent based putties. I grew up using Testors green putty and now use white, but my preference is for the Tamiya putties. I bought some Milliput once, it was okay, but must of it went to waste when it hardened before I could use it.

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

I use Perfect Plastic Putty a lot and I really like it. Granted, I don't build models the same way most guys on this forum do so my experiences with it are a bit different. I build my kits using a sub-assembly modular method. I build, paint, detail, and decal all the sub-assemblies first and then put them all together at the end. When I have gaps, I use the PPP with a wet finger to fill them in and smooth them out. No sanding means I don't damage the finish on parts I've already painted and decaled. I just do a small paint touch up and I'm done. Since I don't wet sand or put water on my models, it's water properties aren't a problem.

For large areas, I still use Testors white putty. The Tamiya stuff is too hard to buy here unless I go way out of my way to visit a hobby shop and even then it is twice as expensive as the Testors. This is used primarily for fuselage joins and engine mounts.

pmmaker
The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad"
Alice: “I’m afraid so. . . you’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. . . All the BEST people are.”

Return to “Construction Tips”