40 Years of Airfix Toys

For reviews of any reading material with a modeling / reference theme.
jezbrook
Getting well comfy!

40 Years of Airfix Toys

Post by jezbrook »

My second book on Airfix (the first was "60 Years of Airfix Models" - 2015) is published on 25th February 2019, by The Crowood Press Ltd ("www.crowood.com"). It is titled "40 Years of Airfix Toys" and deals, by chapters, with all the toys, games, building sets, racing sets, arts & crafts, railway sets and Meccano & Dinky products produced by Airfix until January 1981 when Airfix went into receivership. Also covered are several lesser known ranges such as Scalecraft and Tri-ang Pedigree. The early kits and the later figures, forts and 'polyprops' are also covered. Since only the kits survived, the fates of the other ranges, post 1981, are briefly mentioned.

As in my earlier book, the various products are dealt with on a year by year basis according to their initial releases. Also there is the only known list of the Pattern Numbers and the products relating to them. As many as possible of the toys are illustrated. There are chapters on the two Airfix-produced magazines as well as details of the logos used until 1981. Much information has come from my own records and collection, but I also have access to the surviving Airfix archive and have gained further invaluable information from original Airfix employees such as Peter Allen and Ralph Ehrmann.

Since the kits are already covered in my first book, I have included a small section on the other main divisions of Airfix, the industrial ones (shoes, yoghurt pots, Crayonne, etc).

Further details on price, etc, are given on the Airfix Collectors' Club website: "www.airfixcollectorsclub.co.uk", or on the Crowood website, where an on-line discount is given.

If one's interest lies in all areas of Airfix's history and production (not just the kits) then this book will, hopefully provide one with most of the answers to any questions. It is fully-indexed and is, like all other books, a 'handy' resource.

Jeremy Brook - 22-02-2019
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: 40 Years of Airfix Toys

Post by PaulBradley »

Very cool! Congratulations and good luck!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

That's good news and we hope it is a success.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by chrism »

Good news. Thanks
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits

Return to “Publications”