Spam cans in Kidderminster

For the train spotter in all of us ....
general rocket
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Spam cans in Kidderminster

Post by general rocket »

The Severn Valley railways spring diesel gala, so I will inflict more pictures on you.

Class 08.
A ubiquitous British shunter stemming from a pre-war London Midland and Scottish Railway design of which two where built.
Post war British Rail built just under 1000 08 class shunters between 1952 and 1962 in numerous places around the country with many still in service. This example was built in 1953.
Having a mere 400 bhp on tap but low geared for a top speed of 15m.p.h. they could pull quite large loads.
The Classes 09 and 10 where very similar but geared for slightly higher speed take the total build to well over 1000.

Class 25.
A medium sized mixed traffic engine with 1250 bhp. Built between1961 and 1967 this example was built in 1965 in Darlington.
The reduction in freight carried by rail in the 1970's saw these "rationalised" alongside sister classes 24, 26 and 27.
25185 "Mercury"

Class 31.
Built by the Brush engineering company between 1957 and 1962 with a power output of 1365 b.h.p. and top speed of 80 m.p.h.early engine problems saw them re-engined between 1964 and 1969 with 1470 b.h.p and an improved top speed of 90 m.p.h.

Class 33.
Built by Birmingham Carriage and Wagon company the class 33 locomotives where exclusively used on British Rails Southern Region only occasionally venturing out of their home territory. This particular loco was built in 1960.

Class 37.
Also known as English Electric type 3. To be found all over the country on mainly freight duties. Pictured here in British Rails RailFreight livery, the class was built and delivered between 1960 and 1966, this particular loco was delivered in 1963. Weighing 120 tons, power output 1750 b.h.p. with a top speed of 80m.p.h. made it a useful loco for passenger use as well.

Class 40.
Another English Electric product. Weighing 130 tons and with a top speed of 90 m.p.h. Built between 1958 and 1962. Seen here wearing early British Rail green, 40106 was named "Atlantic Conveyor" after the ship of the same name sunk during the Falklands war.
40106 "Atlantic Conveyor"

Class 41.
The prototype High Seed Train or Inter City 125.
The loco I particularly went to see, unfortunately she wasn't running due to some very expensive noises coming from the the engine. I remember seeing her parked up near to the A.P.T.E. i n Derby works, back in the l970's, so I had really wanted to see her in action.

Class 42.
"Greyhound" like all the class 42 loco's was named after famous British Warships. The class was built between 1958 and 1961 with a lighter than they look weight of 80 tons, they where capable of hauling passenger trains at up to 90 m.p.h. Being Diesel Hydraulic and therefore none standard, withdrawal began in 1968.
D821 "Greyhound"

Class 47.
This Brush type 4 was scheduled to run, but 47749 was pressed into service from the home fleet following the failure of class 44 "Great Gable". Introduced between 1963 and 1967 some Brush type 4's are still in service, with some being upgraded with new equipment to become class 57.
47749 "City of Truro"

Class 50.
50 built, 50th anniversary last year.
Originally introduced on the West Coast Main line for use between Crewe and Glasgow. They where quickly displaced by Electrification and where transferred to the Western Region to replace the Diesel Hydraulic loco's (class 42 & 52) that where being replaced as none standard types.
50049 "Defiance"
50007 "Hercules" appearing as 50014.

Class 52.
A class of 74 built between 1961 and 1964 for use in the Western Region. Two Maybach engines give an output of 2700 b.h.p. with a top speed of 90 m.p.h. due to none standard power train they where all withdrawn by the mid 70's.
D1013 "Western Ranger"

D1015 "Western Champion"
D1062 "western Courier"

Class 55.
Deltic. 105 tons. 3300b.h.p. 100m.p.h. and an exhaust note like thunder.
Nuff sed.
55019 named "Royal Highland Fusilier"

Class 60.
Brush type 5. A currently in service engine built in the early 90's and owned by G B Railfreight. Severn Valley Railway and G B Railfreight have a close working relationship. G B Railfreight move S.V.R. loco's around the country and often make use of S.V.R. metals for testing and demonstration of equipment. As shown below, two S.V.R. class 50's that are still mainline rated, have been repainted in G.B.Railfreight colours (at GBRf's expence) for use as relief loco's when the need arises.

Class 88.
Another in service enginebeing introduced only a couple of years ago. An Electro/Diesel she will use Over Head Electric Line on the main line with a "small" diesel engine for the "last mile". Primarily a freight engine, all 10 of the class are also fitted for passenger working.
88006, is named "Juno".

I wish, that I knew what was doing!
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Spam cans in Kidderminster

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Quite a spread - thanks for posting. A few period pix of the Warship Class from the Western Region are the "centerfold" in the (just received) June Backtrack magazine.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Great set of pics. All very attractive looking locomotives. Seems you had nice weather too.

Nigel
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

37s were my basic traction :grin:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
iggie

Post by iggie »

Mmmmmm Deltic :drool2:
Nice pics! Thanks 8-)
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

I appreciate the appreciation.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Just caught up with this, cracking pics. I saw the Fusilier deltic on Train Truckers the other night. Beastie at the best of times but to try sticking it on a lorry!!.. The last engine looks angry!!
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.

Return to “The Engine Shed”