Warhammer 40K Rhino APC - A big Sci-fi Tank thing!

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Warhammer 40K Rhino APC - A big Sci-fi Tank thing!

Post by Stuart »

This is another build I have on the bench, although it's been on hold for a while. This is one of Games Workshop's Warhammer 40K Rhino APC's - about the same size (ish) as a small 1/35 tank.

One of the great things about these kits is you can just make it up as you go along.

I hope you like it - I'm working on a NMF exterior paint job at the moment - just to see how it looks - although I have got some more filling to do on it.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Warhammer 40K Rhino APC - A big Sci-fi Tank thing!

Post by MarkyM607 »

Nice one Stuart, quite into this stuff myself, mainly painting and modelling. I remember Rhino's (the original ones) being a fiver!!!. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

MarkyM607 wrote:Nice one Stuart, quite into this stuff myself, mainly painting and modelling. I remember Rhino's (the original ones) being a fiver!!!. :grin:
lol! They haven't been a fiver for a loooooooong time. This one is a pretty decent model though, which is ok as it was about £25-00.

Do you still play?

MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Stuart wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:Nice one Stuart, quite into this stuff myself, mainly painting and modelling. I remember Rhino's (the original ones) being a fiver!!!. :grin:
lol! They haven't been a fiver for a loooooooong time. This one is a pretty decent model though, which is ok as it was about £25-00.

Do you still play?
I don't really play now, I'm quite reduced in my activities outside the house!!, but I can get to GW places so I might make an effort when energy levels permit!. Granted the Rhino for a fiver was early 90's so yes, a looong time back!!. Sort of think I should have about fifty of them at that price, but only got three around now.
I would play if I got the chance, my Vylka Fenryka are getting restless. Will have to put some up here. :grin:
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

Stuart wrote:One of the great things about these kits is you can just make it up as you go along.
And it's nice to see someone doing just that. In my experience of GW, it's pretty rare; "official" depictions are everything in the "GW hobby". :roll:
Oh, dear, the Imperial Commisars are going to get someone for heresy for that Kilroy comment... :mrgreen: The Emperor may protect, but I don't think his thought police have much of a sense of humour. ;-) :razz:
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Some very nice touches to the interior.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great bit of creativity going on in the interior, Stuart and I would agree that with a sci-fi subject like this, do what you like, after all it isn't a real subject! The Rhino looks like a sci-fi'd up M113 armoured personnel carrier to me.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Tarkas wrote:
Stuart wrote:One of the great things about these kits is you can just make it up as you go along.
And it's nice to see someone doing just that. In my experience of GW, it's pretty rare; "official" depictions are everything in the "GW hobby". :roll:
Oh, dear, the Imperial Commisars are going to get someone for heresy for that Kilroy comment... :mrgreen: The Emperor may protect, but I don't think his thought police have much of a sense of humour. ;-) :razz:
When I started in the late eighties and early nineties there were few actual terrain and vehicles, the Rhino and Land Raider were about it, as a result kit bashing and scratch building was huge, plans and guides in White Dwarf on how to make buildings, vehicle modifications and figure kit bashing were the norm. Thing's are amazing now but definitely a very refined, by the book sort of way to it all.
Oh and if the Rhino is Space Marine, the Commissars may find themselves unpopular or even 'persuaded' to ignore it. Imperial Guard on the other hand.... :frown:
Oh 2, a sense of humour is not exactly an asset in the 41st millennium. :lol: :lol:
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Thanks for the interests Guys - and Marky you're right - the Comissars better watch out!
So you're a 2nd edition man too then? I still have the original boxed set with the mono-pose figures and the cardboard scenery.

I've also just played a game of 1st edition Space Hulk with my 15 year old daughter. :-D

MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Stuart wrote:Thanks for the interests Guys - and Marky you're right - the Comissars better watch out!
So you're a 2nd edition man too then? I still have the original boxed set with the mono-pose figures and the cardboard scenery.

I've also just played a game of 1st edition Space Hulk with my 15 year old daughter. :-D
Yep, it was definitely from 2nd to about fifth edition, I've loads of metal marine miniatures, all one piece apart from the backpacks!. The old blister packs were the norm, slotta bases and so on. I've even still got paint from the early nineties that is still usable!. I also remember Space Hulk being a main line game, lots of missions in WD, and a great excuse/reason for collecting loads of Terminators!. I think the only box set edition I have is fourth, with marines vs. genestealers and some sort of gaunt!.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Without barging into your thread too much, here is a quick overview of my collection, 99.9% Space Marines!!,

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

MarkyM607 wrote:
Stuart wrote:Thanks for the interests Guys - and Marky you're right - the Comissars better watch out!

Yep, it was definitely from 2nd to about fifth edition, I've loads of metal marine miniatures, all one piece apart from the backpacks!. The old blister packs were the norm, slotta bases and so on. I've even still got paint from the early nineties that is still usable!. I also remember Space Hulk being a main line game, lots of missions in WD, and a great excuse/reason for collecting loads of Terminators!. I think the only box set edition I have is fourth, with marines vs. genestealers and some sort of gaunt!.
Wow - you played longer than me Marky. I played RT, 2nd and a bit of Third before giving it up.

SH was/is pretty cool. I have 1st and 2nd editions, and an old copy of Space Crusade, along with all the expansions etc.

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

MarkyM607 wrote:Without barging into your thread too much, here is a quick overview of my collection, 99.9% Space Marines!!,

That is a fantastic collection Marky - far far more stuff than I ever had!

MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

It's not bad for thirty years modelling and painting. I did buy the Space Marine RTB01 plastic marine box set!!. :lol:
Muttzley
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Muttzley »

Stuart wrote:

Do you still play?
LoL, I still remember when you could buy a the box with either 3 Rhino's, 2 Land Raiders or 30 plastic "beaky" Space Marines for £10 each!

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”