Monogram 1/72 P-51B Mustang!

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
uavdb
Active Participant

Monogram 1/72 P-51B Mustang!

Post by uavdb »

Back in the day (mid-1960's), the IPMS said this kit was THE 1/72 scale Mustang kit to measure all others up to....at least that is what I read in I believe FSM magazine many years ago. And it can still build into a fine replica. I must have built a half dozen over the years and the fit is very good overall. IMO, it did meet its match in the RoG B model Mustang which I built a few years ago.
The kit box is dated 1967, and obviously Mattel had put their sticky fingers onto Monogram, but it was still exactly the same kit and decals as the stand alone Monogram kit had. OD green hardish plastic, fine raised panel lines, and even correct inner gear door detail and a seat with molded in seat belts...life was good. Pics:

uavdb (Dave)
Crashpilot
...happily fooling around with styrene

Re: Monogram 1/72 P-51B Mustang!

Post by Crashpilot »

...for a 53 yo, this is a very good kit, I got 2 of them in the stash
I like the choice tween birdcage and malcolm hood :-)
Waiting for the day, when wars for territory will be something to be read about in history books only.

Playing Tetris taught me: If I clean up too much, my kits disappear.....8-(

Markus, alias Crashpilot, or Crash, or CP, as you wish
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

I used this kit for my Saturday afternoon group build. It went together rather well. The only problem is attaching the wing assembly to the fuselage. You have to bend the wings to join to the fuselage cleanly and use tape to get the correct dihedral. Also cutting the canopy to use the Malcom hood requires patience and finesse. Other than that, the kit goes together easily.

pmmaker
The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad"
Alice: “I’m afraid so. . . you’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. . . All the BEST people are.”
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

I do really like these old Monogram kits. This is one that I'm on with. All hand painted.

I like the old stands that you got in the old kits. I miss them in the new releases. Nice to see that Airfix have included a couple of nice ones in their new gift sets.

In reality it looks much more like faded Olive Drab. It looks a yellow peril here.

So many models, so little time.

Return to “In-Box reviews”