D-Day X-Craft

Boats, ships, submarines and things maritime.
Biker
starter kit

D-Day X-Craft

Post by Biker »

I an about to get back into modelling, something I have promised myself for years and have a bit of a stockpile awaiting time.

The first Kit I want to build is the WW2 X-Craft, however, I want to build one of the two that marked the edges of Sword beach to prevent the troops heading onto the rocks.

I understand that these boats had a more typical military camouflage as they sat in the shallows for 5 days.

Can anyone out there offer any guidance on the scheme I should use?

Thanks in advance.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: D-Day X-Craft

Post by PaulBradley »

Hi Biker, welcome to UAMF! Please head on over to our Welcome! section and introduce yourself!

Good question. I'd always assumed they remained all-black for that operation, but I've seen suggestions that the top third of the hull and superstructure were painted in a medium grey. Certainly, the one photo I've seen of an X-Craft on the day shows it to be something probably lighter than black, but what exactly I couldn't say.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
philp
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by philp »

Any update on this info? I also plan to do mine as a D-Day craft and thought the whole thing was grey. I also would love some info on the light on the pole they put up so the ships could see and any other modifications it would have had that morning.
hardcastle
Getting well comfy!

Post by hardcastle »

Hi all

Just saw this topic. I have always wanted to do this and the Chariot. I found two resin kits in 72nd by Chorozy - anyone with experience on the mould quality or reliability of this manufacturer? (Would help before I place an expensive email order with huge delivery costs etc.)

Tim H
S Africa
Tim Hardcastle

Not a rivet counter, but always trying to model better, despite little time
IPMS-KZN South Africa
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

I came across this site the other day which has some interesting X-Craft info.

https://www.coppsurvey.uk/xcraft

Return to “The Shipyard”